• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp deaths

Jaap

Hi

For quite a while now I have plenty of red cherry shrimp and lately I noticed their numbers decrease. I am thinking due to a rise in nitrates due to adding 7 glowlights and dosind EI.

Is there such a chance? Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi

For quite a while now I have plenty of red cherry shrimp and lately I noticed their numbers decrease. I am thinking due to a rise in nitrates due to adding 7 glowlights and dosind EI.

Is there such a chance? Any ideas?

Thanks

Imo

Did they eat them or did they raise ammonium?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Glowlights only need to be able to fit a leg in their mouth to kill cherry shrimp. They are very good at killing and not eating what they kill, bit like cats really!

Really? I read they were safe :(

Sorry,should have made it more obvious.
Most active tetras will take out shrimp ime.
Only my experience, there's bound to be other members who haven't had a problem...

Two Emperor Tetras and 8 Glowlights managed to gobble their way through a fair few hundred in my tank. The Emperors would flush them out and the Glowlights would mop up, those shrimp they couldn't fit in their mouths (except for a leg) succumbed to the trauma of being attacked. Having CO₂ in the tank makes shrimp sluggish in escaping and may drive them to the upper water column where they are fair game for the fish.

What fish can I have with shrimp?

I'm keeping chilli rasboras and otocinclus, and have never seen any hunting behaviour or aggression from the fish towards the shrimps. A bit of pushing and shoving when there's a piece of algae wafer, but that's all.

I don't have baby shrimps yet, although I've got a couple of berried females so it'll be interesting to see how many babies make it to adulthood.

I've kept shrimp with corydoras, khuli loaches, otocinclus, without a problem, multiplying like rabbits, none of these fish eats baby shrimp. And trust me, that combination makes a really active tank if the tank is heavily planted and each species is kept in groups, not in singlets.
Livebearers also don't do much damage but if the tank is small and not so well planted they'll hunt very young shrimp. They won't touch adults though. I'd say you are looking for very peaceful fish if you want the shrimp to feel very comfy browsing around and not hiding, and of course, not disappearing or seeing them dismembered. But having said that my large enough clown loaches haven't managed to eat all shrimp in one of the tanks either. So it depends, trial and error and whether you want the shrimp to multiply rapidly or maintain their population. If the fish are shrimp killers, you'll find out within a week I suppose.

Back