• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many LED lights for 60cm tank

clint24

Hi to all.I have a open top 60l x 33w x 35h about 63 litres.I currently have a arcadia overtank with 2x24watts T5.I am thinking about getting the new aquabeam led lighting,but not sure how many aquabeams i need to have to get the same or more amount of watts.Could any one help.Cheers

According to the manufacturers two units would give the same output as 2 x 24W T5s. The problem is the light distribution, especially at the water-surface. Close to the LEDs, the light-beams are narrow. If you want good coverage, from top to bottom, three units would probably do better. The distribution problem can also be helped by raising the units higher above the tank.

This is what the light-spread from one aquabeam looks like, suspended approximately 4 cm above a Juwel Rekord 70 (60L x 30W x 40H).

patchy%20sideon.JPG

patchy%20front.JPG

As you can see, the light fans out, providing greater coverage at lower depths.

Cheers Scott sorry for delay.Thanks for the photos,I see what you mean about the beam. I was going to fit them into a overtank luminare which is about 3 inches above the tank.Hopefully it should spread the beam out more.What sprectrum are you using Scott.

clint24 said:
What sprectrum are you using Scott.

I'm using Marine White. The others produce a striped appearance. If you use either 'natural daylight', or 'full spectrum', it might be an idea to alternate them, to produce a checkerboard appearance. Or just use Marine White.

I meant to update this thread. I got another strip yesterday. While fitting it, I noticed the original strip was a little too close to the front glass. (I have it attached to the service flap on my tank). I rotated the service flap so the strip was now closer to the middle of the tank. You can see the effect two strips produces on my journal.

If you install yours into the Luminaire, two should probably be okay. George Farmer did the same thing. That's where I got the idea of using Marine White.

Back