• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Storing/De-algaeing plants?

Tom

I've just taken my 40cm apart, and want to keep the moss rocks and Staurogyne going for my next scape as they are so nice, but don't want the hassle of setting up a proper tank for them. The moss also has a little hair algae in it, from when I just stopped fertilising and CO2 and let it go wild. Will growing it emersed rid it of the algae or will the algae also grow emersed? Same thing with the Staurogyne and brown algae really.

Tom

The moss will keep fine in a window sill if you change the water every day. The strauguyananaaurau will probably be a tad more difficult though no doubt could be grown emerese. And yes growing them out of water will rid them of algae as they will essentially become a new plant with new leaves etc. The trick would be keeping humidity high but you could do this by putting it in a jam jar and punching some holes in the lid and keeping it nice and warm and moist.

A by product of removing moss from the tank I've found is that algae in it dies all of it's own accord provided you don't give it direct sunlight.

Arron, you have the totally wrong end of the stick. Only the spores of algae are air bourne, the under water part will die when dried out.

i had willow moss with an algae problem a little while ago,
i removed it as it got out of hand and left it in a bag in a draw, forgot about it for 5 weeks and then took it out and it was all ok surprisingly, also, the small amount of hairgrass and java fern that was snared up in it actually GREW a bit.
im pretty sure most other plants would die though :(

Water movement might help, if I were you I'd keep the moss in jam jars (I've had some moss since I started uni in september and It's keeping fine) and getting a fist full of really wet aquasoil and sticking that in a sealed jar or clingfilmed tank. You'll be fine, if not I'm sure people will be able to help you with replacements.

I wouldn't have thought water movement would be essential for the Staurogyne, etc. Those that grow their tanks emersed as a startup don't have water movement do they ?

I've got Staurogyne growing emersed above my Oscar tank and have been surprised by the roots on it already. It's on a bit of the tray where there is really no movement but the roots are kept wet. As for algae, there was a bit on some of the leaves which has since disappeared.

Personally, I'd have thought keeping their roots wet, a light source and feeding them would do it.

hi all

this is relevant to me at the mo also
but i have to store swords and various vallis
for only about two or three days while i repair a tank

i dont have a spare tank to keep them in,
they would swamp my 24"

these have been getting an orgy of co2 and recommended ei dosing
will i stick them in a bucket and aerate the water (bit over the top?)
or stick them in a plastic bag?

any tips welcome, i need to take them out in the next couple of hours

regards

hi guys

sorry to bump this
but has anyone any thoughts

my entire plant stock is in a bucket with a heater in it
and they were all mail ordered and i want to keep them in good nick
(hc, hairgrass, swords and various vallis)

thanks

If it's only for a few days then put them somewhere warm and light and they should be fine. Any longer and I'd want to leave them floating in another tank if possible.

Back