• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How on earth do I plant this?

I got my plants recently from Aquarium Gardens, and was very impressed with the quality of them; which includes carpet plants, bacopa, ludwigia and pogostemon.

Yeah, I would like to try them and Aqua Essentials too, but I went with TGM because they were the only place I could get everything I wanted in one order. When you consider express shipping to Aberdeen is often ridiculous money, to place 2 or 3 orders at different places to get what I wanted was a non-starter. They were also the only place I seemed to be able to get Echinodorus Quadricostatus.

Ive bought plants from lots of places now. Aqua essentials and aquarium gardens have been first class in plant quality and resolving any issues that ive had

I used TGM a lot in my early days of aquascaping. I love the shop and the videos they produce. I have had a few plants in questionable condition and did not feel that they were very forthcoming in a resolution. I always think they are slightly more expensive too

Just my opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, lesson learnt I guess! I'll not shop with them again.

That Ech. Magdalensis does look similar, but being a plant noob, the quadricostatus is classed as easy with low light and CO2 requirements as well as fairly fast growth, so that was attractive to me. I guess AE do Tropica plants and I could have just called them up and asked them to order it, but in this day and age I like to shop online.

It is quite a brittle stem plant to be fsir so i could see it getting trashed in that ballon of a bag. I use k2aqua on ebay. Haven't gone wrong with their vitro plants and these stems grew out great.

It didn't arrive like that in the bag, the entire order was in that bag, but I had unpacked everything else and put in individual bags and stored that one plant in the bag until planting. All the other plants like the Ceratopteris Thalictroides and the Echinodorus Quadricostatus all came in pots with a plastic sleeve over to protect the plants. The Lim. Sess. had been placed on a piece of bubble wrap with a Crypt in a plastic pot on top of those delicate stems, then the bubble wrap had been wrapped round 3 or 4 times, essentially compressing the plastic Crypt pot in to the stems and crushing everything.

Yeah, lesson learnt I guess! I'll not shop with them again.

That Ech. Magdalensis does look similar, but being a plant noob, the quadricostatus is classed as easy with low light and CO2 requirements as well as fairly fast growth, so that was attractive to me. I guess AE do Tropica plants and I could have just called them up and asked them to order it, but in this day and age I like to shop online.
For clarification: Ech. quadricostatus is the new(est) name for Ech. magdaleniensis.....it is the same plant !! To mess things up even more, I think it is about to have yet a new name, very soon.......:rolleyes::arghh:

For clarification: Ech. quadricostatus is the new(est) name for Ech. magdaleniensis.....it is the same plant !! To mess things up even more, I think it is about to have yet a new name, very soon.......:rolleyes::arghh:

Ok, totally confused now, if it is the same plant, how can it be classed as easy, low light, low CO2, but the magdaleniensis is classed as skilled, high light, CO2 preferred? :wideyed:

I wouldn't know.......I don't write (all) the guides, that are "out there", sorry.....:angelic:
Quadricostatus is VERY easy and un-demanding, though. It can grow acceptable in a standard "starter-set".........very low light, no added CO2 !!

"The sessiflora was in excellent condition when shipped but in fairness does look to have been somewhat bashed about in transit

It was grown on in a deepwater unit to a larger size and this is something many of our customers appreciate due to the larger number of stems available"

Fair enough BUT no shop as experienced as this one is, should be surprised at the fragility of the submerse stems (vs emerse culture which arrives from aquatic nursery) - & there's no excuse not to have packed it suitably ... this one is totally on TGM & they should be sending out an emerse culture replacement at their expense!

I agree with what you are saying and have not yet had a response to the question whether they could supply an emersed version. To be honest, I am pretty much done with TGM, I'll take my refund and I will go to AquaEssentials and buy another plant there if needs be. My LFS struggles to get Amano shrimp, so I'm thinking about placing an order with AE for some Amanos in a week or two once the plants are settled in. If I need another Lim. Sess. I will get on from AE at the same time, possibly along with some Monte Carlo to plant at the front left.

Back