• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning Inline CO2 Diffusers

wolfewill

I've read the post in 2011 about cleaning the inline diffusers by soaking in bleach but am concerned about the plastic. How long should I soak an old UpAqua inline diffuser in 20% bleach?

You can take the ceramic part out of the plastic and soak just that on it's own. The diffuser twists apart.

I soak mine in 50-50 for an hour, so i'd suggest 3 hours, probably.

You can take the ceramic part out of the plastic and soak just that on it's own. The diffuser twists apart.

I soak mine in 50-50 for an hour, so i'd suggest 3 hours, probably.
Except you can't take the old ones apart....
Or you can unscrew CO2 input line, add liquid carbon with a syringe and leave it overnight. In the morning when CO2 comes on it will slowly push the carbon out and clean the diffuser.
Haven't heard of this one before.Would the amount of LC required to fill the chamber be a lot if the tank in question was say,60L ?
or would it have lost its toxicity overnight after being confined ?

Last edited:

I've got an older model and it doesn't come apart. The three hours you suggest is what I'll start at. I've got four I need to do in the next few days so I'll let you know. Thanks.

Or you can unscrew CO2 input line, add liquid carbon with a syringe and leave it overnight. In the morning when CO2 comes on it will slowly push the carbon out and clean the diffuser.
Wow! I really like this idea. I have Metricide in quantities so I'll certainly give this a try. I like it 'cause of the ease of addition - no bleach, and no removing the diffuser from the location. Great.

Except you can't take the old ones apart....

Haven't heard of this one before.Would the amount of LC required to fill the chamber be a lot if the tank in question was say,60L ?
or would it have lost its toxicity overnight after being confined ?

I think volume of the diffuser is around 20 ml. In case of smaller tanks add less or mix LC with water. Can repeat this procedure everyday for as long as you like or diffuser is clean

I think volume of the diffuser is around 20 ml. In case of smaller tanks add less or mix LC with water. Can repeat this procedure everyday for as long as you like or diffuser is clean
This is no problem 'cause in my case the tank volume is 300 US gallons. Thanks all. Cheers.

Back