• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help! Catching Columbian Tetras

sjb123

Hi, has anyone any idea's on catching Columbian Tetras in a Planted tank without Wrecking it?
I have too many in my tank, they breed like mad but they are so hard to catch? It took me about 2.5 hrs the other day to get 30 out! i was being selective as my local shop will only take the younger fish for re-sale.
Method i was using was an 8" net with a bit of flake in it & waiting(how bad was my back) they are just to fast to try
and chase round!
Any suggestions Please, Cheers Steve.......
my.php

sjb123 said:
Hi, has anyone any idea's on catching Columbian Tetras in a Planted tank without Wrecking it?
I have too many in my tank, they breed like mad but they are so hard to catch? It took me about 2.5 hrs the other day to get 30 out! i was being selective as my local shop will only take the younger fish for re-sale.
Method i was using was an 8" net with a bit of flake in it & waiting(how bad was my back) they are just to fast to try
and chase round!
Any suggestions Please, Cheers Steve.......

Nice fish...
Best way is to try and corner them, sometimes you have to be quite aggressive. Another option is to get a piece of mesh or plastic, then trap them all in one half of the tank if possible.

The two nets method is the way to go. You need one large net which you angle open slightly facing the glass and butted up against it and then use the smaller net, or your hands, to steer the fish into the large net. The real trick is to move slowly so that you don't spook the fish and only move quickly to finally trap them in the big net. If you thrash around with the nets then the tetras will get very flighty IME.
I'd then move all the caught fish to a bucket or another bare tank to sort them out and return the ones you want to keep only after you've removed all the ones you want.

If you're really struggling, leave the tank lights off one day and do this in the dark in just room light - they will be a lot dozier then.

Try a 5ltr water container sunk in the tank with a food tablet in the bottom of it.The fish will swim inside the narrow opening and losing their escape route inside the clear plastic bottle you should be able to lift them out with minimum fuss.

If they are particularly shy let them build confidence by letting them feed once or twice inside the bottle. Beautiful fish but amongst the hardest of all species to catch. Good luck !

Thanks for all the suggestions, will give them a try!
Think i was being too careful & too selective? Will take out more & sort afterwards.

Cheers Steve B......

Just cover the tank for a few hours before... complete darkness. Then go in there with a couple of nets and start catching.

Easy.

Looks like y ou've got this problem sorted, just wanted to say what nice fish they seem! Are they easy to breed? What type of conditions (tank pics!) do you have?

Hi Thomas,
I think they are just great survivors as they just breed in the tank! I've also had Diamond Tetras breed but not so frequent as the Columbian.
Plenty of hiding places for fry also helps!
Ph 6.6>6.7
Kh = 2
Gh = 5 approx.
Tank Juwel Rio 400 was run using the Dennerle Nature system but might have to change things as have just upgraded lights & now have Algae problem?
Not a Good photo but please have a look

Cheers Steve B

my.php
[/url] [/img]

You could use one of those bottle fish traps. Just cut the top off, put it back so it points into the bottle and put some food inside, I used to catch newts and minnows with these all the time as a boy.

Back