• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tesco planted "pico" bowl project

Having set up a high-tech 25 litre nano tank over the last four months with high lighting, CO₂ injection, external filter and heater, I'm now considering my next watery challenge.

Because I'm currently "between careers" and not earning, this time it's going to have to be on a shoestring. I've stopped spending money on the nano tank.

I'm considering a planted "pico" bowl, something like this bowl from Tesco for a fiver which by my sums would be about 4 litres. (Can someone double-check my sums - 10cm radius, 4/3 πr³ - sound right?)

I'm thinking of an Ikea "Jansjö" LED lamp for lighting, which is only 70 lumens but hopefully that'll be enough - I won't have any CO₂ and will be trying to keep nutrients low so the light requirement should also be low, unlike my nano tank which has injected CO₂ and a generous daily nutrient dose.

It'll be unheated and unfiltered. The plants will be responsible for the majority of ammonia control. I'll have a substrate of garden soil, topped by gravel - a kind of "Walstad" setup. I'll start off with some pieces of dwarf hairgrass which I can pull up from the nano tank. I might try some HC as well, although without CO₂ and with low-ish light I doubt it'll grow. I can of course bung some hornwort in there, and I might scoop some Azolla caroliniana from the pond (it's a bit like duckweed but with a pretty, feathery leaf shape).

I will probably have to spend some money on plants; any suggestions? They'll need to be low-light, low CO₂ and small.

Needless to say, fish are out of the question in such a small, unheated, unfiltered container! However, I will probably add Malaysian Trumpet Snails, and once the bowl has matured for a month or so perhaps a nerite snail. If I'm feeling confident that the bowl has matured well then I'll consider adding a handful of red cherry shrimps in time.

I was going to do something "useful" and "productive" today, but the "Instant Gratification Monkey" in my head is telling me to do this instead.

^^ Loving the home-made canister filter!

Well, I've made a start. No plants yet, so it doesn't look very impressive - but I've got a piece of driftwood which is currently boiling to get rid of the tannin and hopefully persuade it to sink.

EB499DFE-0DBF-4590-AD99-58F82B8F3844.jpg

It certainly is! Interestingly, that bowl contains some of the same plants that I've chosen for my bowl as well.

I've ordered from Aquarium Gardens:
  • Dwarf hairgrass (Eliocharis parvula)
  • Anubias nana "mini" to attach to the bottom of the wood
  • Sagittaria subulata
  • A portion of Java moss to attach in small clumps on the wood
I've been boiling the piece of wood for 24 hours, and it now just about sinks. So I've bunged it in, along with a bit of hornwort to make it look prettier. I quite like the magnifying effect of the glass bowl - although it's not optically perfect, but for a fiver I can't complain!

5CB65901-0FD5-4849-849D-517AC6B06511.jpg

Can anyone suggest a plant that would grow attached to the top of the wood and be happy emersed? It would have to be content with just the humidity coming off the surface of the water.

Perhaps another Anubias?

Part of the top of the wood is completely exposed to the air (even more so if I keep the water level a few millimetres lower). Would a small Tillandsia air plant work if superglued, or would it rot?

Well, I went to the garden centre at Wisley, but all they had were a couple of Tillandsia in small glasses with a little bit of gravel in the bottom. But at least the plant wasn't glued down, so I've removed it from the glass.

This leaves me with an empty glass and a bit of gravel. Can you guess what I'm going to do with that??! Hint: it seems that my aquascaping projects are getting smaller and smaller...

Anyway, here's the little Tillandsia in its glass:

1CEF7BDB-E9B3-4BBE-8C3A-78377AD81A1E.jpg

I decided to stick the base of the plant to a small piece of black neoprene rubber, and then stick the rubber to the top of the wood. I was worried about rotting, because the wood remains wet. At the moment, admittedly it looks a bit daft - but hopefully I can grow something else that will provide some emersed foliage to make the Tillandsia look a bit less lonely perched up on top of the wood:

4EF8CD32-43BA-4083-AB2A-75C579F2C313.jpg

I like the magnifying effect of the wood too, would be cool if you could maintain a couple of RCS in there

Thought I'd make a little update to this thread.

The plants are doing pretty well - all of them have grown, especially the Anubias, the Sagittaria and the Java Moss. The Sagittaria has even sent up flower stalks with dainty little white flowers on the end.

And I have added shrimps. Basically I've been doing a bit of ethnic cleansing in my main tank, which has blue cherry shrimps in it. I noticed a number of babies that had reddish colouration, and I didn't want too much genetic diversity to turn the population back into the plain brown wild form. So during water changes I started siphoning up any shrimps that were the "wrong" colour and transferring them to the bowl.

They've done rather well! The ones I added were mostly tiny babies, but they have grown into reasonably adult-sized shrimps. I also caught sight of a berried female a few days ago.

Here's an overview shot:

4A190DF0-ECDB-4949-B7D2-7A824D23DF39.jpg

Close-up of shrimp activity. I've just put a small piece of algae wafer in there...

B88BBCE3-6E64-4B59-930F-70F9F50FD169.jpg

And the Tillandsia air plant on top is thriving, in its slow-growing way. It has sent out a side shoot from the base, so hopefully it'll lose the 'pineapple' look eventually...

F645D4E2-7C82-4DE9-8E28-50686A6C32BE.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd make a little update to this thread.

The plants are doing pretty well - all of them have grown, especially the Anubias, the Sagittaria and the Java Moss. The Sagittaria has even sent up flower stalks with dainty little white flowers on the end.

And I have added shrimps. Basically I've been doing a bit of ethnic cleansing in my main tank, which has blue cherry shrimps in it. I noticed a number of babies that had reddish colouration, and I didn't want too much genetic diversity to turn the population back into the plain brown wild form. So during water changes I started siphoning up any shrimps that were the "wrong" colour and transferring them to the bowl.

They've done rather well! The ones I added were mostly tiny babies, but they have grown into reasonably adult-sized shrimps. I also caught sight of a berried female a few days ago.

B88BBCE3-6E64-4B59-930F-70F9F50FD169.jpg

And the Tillandsia air plant on top is thriving, in its slow-growing way. It has sent out a side shoot from the base, so hopefully it'll lose the 'pineapple' look eventually...

F645D4E2-7C82-4DE9-8E28-50686A6C32BE.jpg

Amazing that shrimp will even breed in 4l, I was worried about them in my 10l lol!

So what's the upkeep on this bowl? Any water changes? ferts?

P.s accidental double post, and just read about your water changes, d'oh!

It is amazing how well the shrimps are doing, especially when you consider that the actual water content of this bowl is only about 2.5 litres by the time you account for the piece of wood, soil and gravel. You can see in one of the pictures that I also added some tiny baby Malaysian Trumpet Snails, which have grown into a reasonable size as well.

Whenever I do a water change on the main tank, I save about a litre of the new water, scoop out some of the water from the bowl and gently pour fresh water in, directing the water flow over the top of the piece of wood. It's as simple as that!

I occasionally do a bit of algae clearance using an old toothbrush to clear off the very light dusting of algae that accumulates on the walls of the bowl. Oh, and every few days I have to scoop out some duckweed.

Back