• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions on improving flow eagerly sought

MJW

Seedling
Hi all, first post, so please be gentle ;)

I'm looking to improve the flow in my tank, in preparation for adding CO2. Tank is 123cm x 38 x 40, so around 200l, and is filtered with an eheim 350T. filter intake is in left rear corner, outflow is via spraybar on the right wall.

I've been reading a lot on here about extending the spraybar across the back of the tank -- tried that unfortunately, the eheim just doesn't put out enough flow to drive that, which left my poor harlequins gasping near the surface after a couple of hours.

So, I could try to rig up a powerhead and spraybar across the rear:
  • Any suggestions for suitable powerheads for this? Ideally, small and unobtrusive -- I've been trying to keep stuff out of the tank as much as possible...
  • Have folks had any problems with build up of detritus in the spraybar? Would a strainer on the intake be sufficient, or would it need a foam block?
Alternatively, I could look at adding a couple of koralias (or similar). Unfortuantely, positioning the magnet on the outside of the tank might be a little tricky -- my tank is in an alcove, with veeeeery tight clearance down one side, and on half of the other side.

So, are the koralias *just* magnet mounted? or do they have suction cups as well?

Also, does anyone have the dimensions for the koralias?

Hello MJ,

Koralias are just magnet mounted and even the smallest is quite large but they are very effective. I think that for a 120 tank two filters is a good idea if you can run to that. Firstly you have a failsafe if one breaks and secondly you can clean them at alternate times so that you're always sure a healthy cycled filter. If your budget can run to an Ehiem 600/2217 or similar to supplement your 350T that could really help in many areas. Otherwise Tunze make some very compact little powerheads that can be hidden away very well. A spraybar is by no means a must have system and it does require a lot of pump power to be really effective.

I have just bought a koralia nano 900 L. I was worried that it would pin the fish to the glass in my 200L tank. It has worked really well. I can't even see it behind some Amazon Swords. I can't see the dimensions on the box, but it is not an eyesore in the tank. There are a few videos on YouTube to give you an idea. Mine was intermittently noisy for a day or 2, but is near silent now.

Alan

Chris, Alan, thanks for the responses!

Access behind the tank is limited due to the location, so it would be changing to run another in/out pair - the alternative to that would be to run the secondary in parallel on the existing pipework, but that wouldn't work unless both units were outputting the same pressure...

Chris, Alan, thanks for the responses!

Access behind the tank is limited due to the location, so it would be changing to run another in/out pair - the alternative to that would be to run the secondary in parallel on the existing pipework, but that wouldn't work unless both units were outputting the same pressure...

I'm no expert, but I don't think running two filters in one loop is going to either work well or give you the benefit you are looking for. I think you either need two filters running on their own loops, or add the powerheads.

Two filters on the one loop isn't ideal by any stretch and could perhaps be a flood risk but the benefits of excellent filtration are many. Plants are great filters when established and all is well but earlier on in a setup if you have plant melt or algae issues etc.etc. whilst you are learning to get things balanced then more filtration capacity will certainly reduce your algae risks and ease your pain.
You need good flow round the plants as well of course and koralias and the like are v hard to beat for efficiently achieving this.

I lie, on the box it says the Koralia 900L is 6cm. I would guess the magnet juts out about a cm.

Had a similar problem running a 2217 with a jbl inline co2. I thought it would be ok but just too weak as a full length spraybar. I am in the process of switching tanks and will add another filter but got this in the mean time http://charterhouse-aquatics.com/sh...nze-turbelle-nanostream-6015-circulation-pump from ebay.

It's silent and is great for a 125-200L. The magnet is very strong and is about 1-1.5cm.

Wisey, Chris - thanks, didn't think the two-on-a-loop thing would really fly, it's good to have confirmation :)

I'll certainly think about adding a second filter in there - totally understand the benefits, just not sure that I have the space to route the hoses... The tank was MTM for its alcove and fits *very* snugly, with what is, in hindsight, a smaller than ideal hole in the work surface it rests on for the pipework... Enough for a few power cables and two 22mm pipes, but not a lot left over...

You live and learn, as they say!

(Here's the tank: https://twitter.com/the_lazyknight/status/656897493649760256)

Back