• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rosy Barbs

andy

Ive had big problems with algea of all descriptions (including BGA) since i set my tank up. But because this is really only a temporary set up until we have an alcove knocked into the tank, i probably haven't given the tank and plants the attention i should've.

I blacked the tank out for 3 days and added a second external filter to improve water flow and circulation. However, i still have problems with small amounts of hair algea on the plants.

So, having used them before in the past, i added a pair of rosy barbs to the tank. Ok so they're not on everyone's "must keep" list but they have stripped my plants of all algea in 3 days.

You can either keep them in there or pass them on to another hobbiest if you don't want them after they've done their job.

Andy

I've seen these fish before and they seem nice enough. It's suprising to hear that they are good algae eaters though!

How do you find them apart fr their algae-eating ablilities? What size tank?

They're quite lively fish and mine are in a 4 foot tank. Other than that, they're ideal peaceful community fish

Cool, thanks for sharing! :D

I've also read that Mollies tend to be good algae eaters, you could always give them a go too.

Rosy barbs are excellent, except they can sometimes develop a taste for certain plants and will dig over the substrate slightly - part of the reason why they help to get rid of algae as they pick away at plants and substrate.

I like Ruby barbs too, but not teied them in a fully planted tank yet - must get some for one of my tanks - they'd fit well into it.

I kept ruby barbs in a planted tank and they were lovely. Wouldn't recommend them for anything less than a 3 footer though as they're quite lovely and of a decent size. Strangely, my siamese fighter took a dislike to the males and kept attacking them. I had to separate him after he took one of their eyes out.....

Back