• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Insularium - Exclusive first sight

Great Tank George. Found someone yesterday selling the Exact Size Shallow Tanks for Under £20, Here is Coventry. Made by Ciano. So Going to make one later on today.
These Style of Tanks remind me of the Shallow Guppy tank Steven Chong Did many Years Ago.

Interesting etymology...

Latin
Insularium from insula ‎(“island”), also used figuratively to refer to a house for the poor.
And arium a suffix associated with a specified thing or a device associated with a specific function.

All in all a pretty apt description...and pretty cool.

So I'm guessing there's now a company making Amano style Wabi Kusa mixes...be great for aquascaping too.

_MG_8821.jpg

Any idea what size filter you would need in this size tank if adding some neons for example?

Nice one and the bonus is I have a little HOB in my "collection" somewhere. Coventry here I come! Thanks Gill :thumbup:

Hi Mort, I think in a Riparium its based more on Aquatic plants and Insularium is based on Terrestrial and bog plants. Not sure though :)

I thought riparium was Marsh plants but you often see a lot of terrestrial plants used and just wondered why this was different. Is it just a new inventive term for a old concept?

I thought riparium was Marsh plants but you often see a lot of terrestrial plants used and just wondered why this was different. Is it just a new inventive term for a old concept?

Its a fantastic idea I will be ordering one soon. I think the concept is for Islands scapes the one on the product intro is a stunner

I think Troi explained it well :) Island Scape

Interesting etymology...

Latin
Insularium from insula ‎(“island”), also used figuratively to refer to a house for the poor.
And arium a suffix associated with a specified thing or a device associated with a specific function.

All in all a pretty apt description...and pretty cool.

What's the difference between an insularium and a riparium?
Hi Jeff. Insularium is the brand name for a range of products for this concept.

The concept of emergent growth is not new, but there's not been an easy to use and inexpensive product line specifically designed around this terrestrial and marsh plant growth... Until now.

ADA have the wabi kusa concept but this is different. The Insualrium plants are grown in a different media (patented) and soon there will be a range of shallow aquariums, lamps, plants holders and filters available.

If you "like" the Insualrium FB page you'll get more info.

Excellent video George!
Nice and easy to do:thumbup:...ideal for the smaller homes!
Where did you get the plants from George?
Cheers
hoggie
Hi Hoggie. The plants are called "Insulas" and are grown in Barcelona. They form part of the Insualrium product range.

Hopefully they'll be some UK stockists soon... :)

Back