• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Journal - Mini-M

Jens B

Seedling
Hi all, this will be my first post on the forum. :)

It all began with a (rather large) piece of driftwood and an ADA Mini-M I had lying around but didn't use. I tried placing the driftwood inside the tank, and amazing it fit! (Though only barely!)

I'm going for a hi-tech scape, using CO2, ADA soil and ferts.

IMG_4688.jpg

This is what it looked like. The tank is sitting on an Ikea cutting board and I'm using two Ikea desk lamps to light it.

IMG_4689.jpg

I drilled some holes in the cutting board so I could fit the lamps directly into the board. I quite like the look of this. :p

This is what it looks like after adding some sand to the front, with some small stones to create a barrier.
IMG_4693.jpg

Tomorrow I will tie some moss to the wood and plant some HC Cuba behind the rocks to start a carpet. I think I will try the dry start method...

All advice is welcome! :)

I've seen someone use big dw in small tank before. The dw swelled when the tank was flooded, and yes, the glass cracked. Be careful. I'd soak the dw in the bath tub for a week and see if it still fits.

I've seen someone use big dw in small tank before. The dw swelled when the tank was flooded, and yes, the glass cracked. Be careful. I'd soak the dw in the bath tub for a week and see if it still fits.

+1

This is a very important point to consider

All looks good. But the wood looks too large. It takes most spaces which is not good for plant to grow. And the tank is losing its balance. I would rather start with smaller pieces of wood for this small tank. [

All looks good. But the wood looks too large. It takes most spaces which is not good for plant to grow. And the tank is losing its balance. I would rather start with smaller pieces of wood for this small tank. [
Indeed.....smaller would be better!
Like the chopping board idea with the attached lights!...:thumbup:
hoggie

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :)

Thanks for pointing this out to me! I'll try that and/or see if I can remove a piece from it so it fits better. :S

Yeah I like it too! Worth soaking to be on the safe side.

Also, will you have trouble with keeping the humidity up if the wood protrudes from the top of the tank? Or will you get that going before placing the wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, very unique piece of driftwood. It can turn into awesome aquaskape if used properly. I really like the idea of dis balance between tank/hardskape, it is like the nature wants to eskape from the artificial glass cube we put in. The reason of kind of dissbalance mentioned is too much aquasoil, which takes vital plant space IMO. Personally will go for sand or rock and sand bottom, moss and ferns. Cuba can grow emmersed too on the edge of the wood. The tank can be still Hi tech though. A good choice of nano fish is a must, I love Boraras or CPDs. But only one type IMO. Fallen leaf litter on the sandy bottom will enhance the natural feeling.
Hope that helps, and yeah Welcome in UKAPS

I have those lamps too and that is a great way to keep them in place! Look forward to seeing where this goes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comment everyone!

I placed the driftwood in an empty aquarium and let it soak for almost the entire week:

driftwood Resized (1).jpg

I really does look good from every angle! :p

I tried placing it back in the tank and it still fit, but to be on the safe side I did also remove a small portion from the back and side. ;)

I then tied some weeping moss to the bottom left, middle and emersed section. I also filled the groove in the top right with aquarsoil and planted some HC Cuba in there. I hope it holds! :nailbiting:

I also planted HC Cuba behind the small stones, in the section that receives the most light. I then covered the entire tank in cellophane and misted the tank. :)
IMG_4718.jpg

I have never tried the dry start method before and I'm hoping it will be fine this way... it's an unheated tank in a room that's only heated in the evening. I'm planning to turn on the light when I get home from work and mist the tank 2-3 times during the photo period.

I still haven't decided what the rest of the plants are going to be. There is a section of shadow behind the HC, so I was thinking of going with small anubias and/or bucephalandra for that section. For the background I was thinking of going with tall, thin plants, like Echinoderms tenellus or cyperus helferi... or maybe some thin leafed rotala? What do you think?

Hi, very unique piece of driftwood. It can turn into awesome aquaskape if used properly. I really like the idea of dis balance between tank/hardskape, it is like the nature wants to eskape from the artificial glass cube we put in. The reason of kind of dissbalance mentioned is too much aquasoil, which takes vital plant space IMO. Personally will go for sand or rock and sand bottom, moss and ferns. Cuba can grow emmersed too on the edge of the wood. The tank can be still Hi tech though.
The thing I worry about most is that the wood and the mid and background plants will be competing for attention, and not make either one stand out... A rock and sand bottom would also look awesome using this piece of driftwood, but I think I would need a bigger tank to pull that off successfully. :p

That tank looks amazing by the way! :wideyed: The emersed parts has the same look as the one I aim to create! If I can get even close to that I will be very happy! :p

A good choice of nano fish is a must, I love Boraras or CPDs. But only one type IMO. Fallen leaf litter on the sandy bottom will enhance the natural feeling.
The inhabitants will be my betta fish, some trigonostigma espei and some amano shrimp. I agree that some boraras or celestial pearl danios would invoke a better sense of scale. I might switch to them if I get another tank up and running to house the other fish. Do you have any experience in keeping CPDs? The shopkeeper I talked to before said you should combine them with other fish, or they will stay hidden between the plants the whole time.

Also, will you have trouble with keeping the humidity up if the wood protrudes from the top of the tank? Or will you get that going before placing the wood?
I have just wrapped everything in cellophane, I hope this is enough to keep it humid. :S

Looks good. Keep in mind though that a big piece of wood (or rock) will make cleaning the tank's glass a bit difficult.
It makes EVERYTHING difficult, trust me! :p

Back