• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What deficiency is this in new nana and crypt leaves?

Sudipto

The last three leaves that my 4-month old anubias nana has thrown out definitely have a deficiency of sorts. The chlorophyl layer is not uniform. You can almost see the net like structure below in certain parts. The older they get, those parts are getting greener.

Last night I saw the same problem in a small patch on one of the cryptocoryne wendtiis also. But this is not a new leaf.
I dose the following ferts in my 2x1x1 ft heavily planted CO2 dosed tank.

KNO3 and K2HPO4 thrice a week. Seachem Fe and Traces thrice a week. CaSO4 and MgSO4 once a week during 50 per cent water change.

I must say, my fauna load is virtually negligible and I do not add any external food for my otos and mollies.

I wish I could give a photograph to illustrate the point but the leaves are in such an angle that photography will not be easy. If the description is not enough and someone really wants to see it I will try.

I shall be really grateful if someone could tell me what the deficiency is. Also will these leaves get back their original texture or do I need to clip them off? Clipping off three anubias leaves will be a hard decision to take, as you can understand. Please help me.

Last edited:
You mention the ferts you add but not the amount

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

KNO3 - 1/4 tsp
K2HPO4 - 1/16 tsp (measure it as per eye estimate)
CaSO4 - 1 tsp
MgSO4 - 1/4 tsp
Fe - 5 ml
Trace - 5ml

It is a 2 feet by 1 foot by 1 foot tank. I have never measured anything in my tank. I will try and see if I can get a picture later in the evening.

Last edited:
Without a picture, it's only a wild guess. How are the rest of the plants looking and what type of plants do you have besides anubias and crypts?

As a general rule:

Damage to new growth means micro deficiencies => more MgSO4, traces or iron
Damage to old growth = macro deficiencies.

Deficiently grown leaves will not recover. You need to remove them.

Back