• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae in low tech tank

Can some one please I'd this algae!

878874f6298e3e85091eb795294f8be4_zpsaujbfn1t.jpg

I clean it out the best I can and it just comes back. I've been told it's possible diatoms but it's been at least 6 weeks, and it's running me nuts.

Hi Dave, I had it too :(:( Brown algae One tank it just took over had to strip down. Another tank I just kept on doing mini water changes every night and sucking out what I could.In the end I had to take out the wood and stones and give them a good wash and brush up with the plants still attached then cut the other plants back then replace the hole lot took all day but the tank is coming on a lot better now I feel your pain mate

Think a total black out works too ??

link on algae's Brown algae is in there http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.co.uk/

Good luck hope you get it sorted out

Brown filamentous diatom algae. Very typical in a newly set up tank at the four to six week stage.

I had it in my nano tank. I reduced my light period down to about 5 hours, and started doing 50% water changes every other day.

I also changed my fertilisation regime: I had been dosing TNC complete at the standard dose once a week, but I started dosing triple the dose, spread out so that I was dosing 50% of the standard dose every day. This gives a rough equivalent of EI dosing.

It was about this time that the brown algae simply decided to pack its bags, and it disappeared within a week or so. I have now increased my light period and reverted to once-weekly 50% water changes. The brown algae never came back.

Was it the reduced lighting period, or the frequent water changes, the increased fertilisation, a combination of all of those, or did it simply go away by itself? Who knows!

Thanks for the replies.
The tank was started on the 1st of January, and the algae around the six week in. I reduced the lighting from 8 hours to 6. Have reduce the ferts as well, then increased a little because the plant growth slowed down. I also use liquid Carbon. I only do a 50% water change once a week, after cleaning it up as much as possible. I might give it a black out for a few days, then reduce the light down a little more with some more water changes. Hmm, that sounds like a plan for now.
Not sure about the shrimps at the moment, which is funny because the tank is/was going to be a crs tank. I have started a hi tech tank, so if I can't get the low tech under control, I might just stick to the hi tech.
Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!

Armed with a toothbrush and net I have remove as much diatom as I can. The tank is now in black out, and I will check on it on Wednesday night when it will have a wc.

Keep sucking it out every day, what your pic shows is skipping a few days and that's a no go.. No skipping, it's daily work, after syphoning the most out take a small soft inclined paint brush and brush the plants and hardware and syphon it out with the other hand what comes off.. No need for big water changes, if you use a 10/12 mm hose you'll be surprices how much you can suck out before the bucket is full.

I did this for over 6 weeks "every day" and suddenly with in a week or 2 all was gone for 90% and not comming back 2 weeks more 100% was gone. Did it without a blackout. Don't let it discourage you, this stuff grows faster than it can be removed, just roll up your sleeves fight back relentlessly and daily and you will win.. :thumbup: A blackout might help a bit, but after that if you see a bit growing back, take it out daily don't wait for it to grow and block the light from your plants. :)

Daily clean and Nirita crew will be a big help. Stop dosing and 3-1-3 photo-period

Back