• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss without the mess ?

Paul195

Hi all

In my first tank I bought some Riccia moss and attached it to my redmoor wood using fishing line. It didn't take long before the stuff ended up everywhere.

I'm interested in keeping fissidens fontanus this time around, but only if I can keep it in localised spots without it floating and growing everywhere.

Would anybody care to share any tips on how to avoid the mess, and any specific advice on this type of moss ?

Many thanks

Paul

Riccia is a floating plant so as it grows it has the tendency to detach itself from the rocks and it is also a fast grower so it is not surprise it ended up everywhere. Fissidens on the other hand is a completely different animal and I would seriously not worry about it. You can attach with the usual methods of fishing line, super glue or yoghurt

I do believe you won´t see fissidens fontanus everywhere.. cause to grow 1 cm it takes an eternity..
Simply attached or glue as Bacms reffer.

Basically ALL the mosses can/will re-grow from tinyest bits, that have spread "somewhere else" - be it by flow, trim or inhabitants in the tank. It is a PITA, but nevertheless a fact. I find re-growing parts of mosses "from the past" in all my test-tanks continuously.
Gorge introduced a method here, that I also use; a scissor combined with a hose. This will lead offcuts out of the tank, when trimming the mosses.
Riccia is (unbelievably) fastgrowing, therefore spreading fast - Fisdidens is way slower, spreading minimal.........but spreading nevertheless!!

Back