• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

building up hardscape.

weeman

Seedling
Hi recently came back into the hobby and currently gathering ideas for my 30l tank. Im looking for a good way to build up the back of the tank. Planning on having wood, rocks covered in ferns,anubias and moss etc. What light rock could i use? Preferably darker in colour. Thinking of ways to do it without adding loads of weight agaisnt the glass. Thanks in advance.

Brilliant, I should of thought of that. Looking to keep crs in the tank I'll do some research as to Wether it alters parameters. Thanks

Lava rock (not to be confused with man-made 'Tufa') is inert and safe to use in aquariums. It generally comes in red or black varieties, whereas Tufa rock is light in colour, usually an off-white and definitely isn't inert. To test any kind of stone you wish to use, a drop or two of vinegar will react with anything that's likely to alter the parameters of the water; fizzing, hissing or bubbling where contact is made. If it doesn't react, it's safe. If it does, well, it may be alright but be cautious - more research may be needed.

Okay thanks for the advise i think lava rock will be a good choice as moss etc will attach and it will fit in with my black colour scheme. Ill bare that test in mind. :)

Back