• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nelson's comeback low tech

Neil, did you find your Croakers yet??

I got the last 4 Trichopsis pumilus from my lfs.Then went into London to get 4 more and accidently :oops: got 4 Trichopsis vittata :rolleyes:.
Not sure if they're ok together ?.

I never did read they can't, they're about twice the size probably croack twice as loud.. Might frustrate the male pumilus a little.. :lol:
Also got me a little harem of 1 boy and 2 girls pumilus last week.. They are realy lovely, never had them before.. Don't see 'm much either, they love to stay in the plants. :)

Think I got 3 males and 1 female :(.Mine are out quite a lot.Quite brave little fish and love the croaking :).
Might try the vittata in with them at the weekend.Will be a pain to get out if there's a problem.

Haven't heared a noise from mine, might be more males together triggering the croaking. You might witness some nice batles too..
Mine probably thinks why should i croack?? Got already all i want no need to croack for that.. :rolleyes: Maybe i should get a few more..

Both sp. go together regarding their habitat description they are even found together in the same natural inviroments.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichopsis-pumila/

There is a bit of aggression.Will try and get some females.
All the fish from my high tec are in here now and some new ones.

4x Otocinclus
12x Celestichthys margaritatus
8x Sundadanio axelrodi

New fish,
4x Trichopsis pumila
1x Dario dario

And a bad phone video :oops:.

Not bad at all Neil...those innocent looking Trichopsis pumila can be prodigious shrimp hunters - I've witnessed them hunting in a pack - so beware. Check out the responses below...http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichopsis-pumila/

Great sound track by the way, can you give details?

I've given up on the shrimp,population falling.Not getting anymore so added fish.
Music is just a You Tube freebie,Marrionette Letter Box.

Not bad at all Neil...those innocent looking Trichopsis pumila can be prodigious shrimp hunters - I've witnessed them hunting in a pack - so beware. Check out the responses below...http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichopsis-pumila/

Great sound track by the way, can you give details?

Actualy didn't notice all those responses on this little fish, funny to find you and big tom over there just now.. :) But intresting point i certainly will keep an eye on cause i got it all.. Cherries, open top and 3 pumilas, 2 puffers and 8 highfin barbs.. Of the pumila and the puffer i read stories they will hunt shrimp, but it's the barb who's the only one i've seen it from for now. Not realy hunting but a shrimp stuppid or fearless enough to swim the open will get inspected, triggers some food agression and is nibbled. Till now even if fry is eaten i only see my cherry shrimp population increase.. :) And i do not find any half eaten shrimps around.. But pumilas are still very juvenile i guess i'll keep an eye on it and let you know Troi if i ever see one hunt or catch a shrimp. :thumbup:

They are fascinating little fish, their behaviours suggest they are very intelligent (for a fish), not just the hunting but other interactions between themselves and their other tank mates...they have individual personalities.
Actually, I really like them, it's just that my experience...well you've read that in the link. But that said other folk haven't had the same issues and they've lived peacefully with shrimp etc. so you could be OK Marcel.

That's also what said about puffers, i actualy read very much reports of puffers killing off all shrimp in the tank. My 2 little rascals don't even look at them.. also my pumilas if i see them i do not see them take intrest in the shrimp big enough for me to see.. But did read also from others than yours the repport they can hunt shrimp fry.. So i just took my changes.. I know cherries are the freshwater rabbits when it comes to breeding.. And with that massive lump of wood i have sitting on a few clayball panties, there is so much room under that wood with cracks and cavities out of reach of the fish and a perfect place for shrimp fry to safely grow up. It's a complete cave system under there. I constantly see more and more baby shrimp appear from every hole and crack... Till now it seems to work out, shrimp breeding faster than they get eaten, this is the chance i took with my choises if this balance can be found.. :)

The pumilas love the caves too and often explore them, slip in at the right and appear again at the other side.. :) It's a funny sight they might just go in there to get some luck with shrimp fry. Can't see what's happening in there..They are indeed as you say very interactive with eachother and now and than leave the plant mass and school around with the others.. But most of the day they are somewhere in the plant mass close together..
DSCF6297 (Kopie).JPG

I love this tank, its wicked.

If it were me i would move the (moss?) from the front right of the tank and replace it with a low level plant.
OR - trim the moss down and cover some pieces of low level rock / slate with it to create a mini carpet effect.

would be proud of this mate. If its still running when ive set up my new tank, i will have some of the frogbit off you!

Thanks Tim,Nick,Roy :).
If it were me i would move the (moss?) from the front right of the tank and replace it with a low level plant.
OR - trim the moss down and cover some pieces of low level rock / slate with it to create a mini carpet effect.
It's Lomariopsis lineata.Was given to me and I just dumped it there.Was never meant to stay :lol:.
If its still running when ive set up my new tank, i will have some of the frogbit off you!
No problem if you don't mind snails ;).

Another bad vid :oops:.

Back