• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eichornia azurea

those flowers look awesome, looks like it'll block a lot of light out, will you be able to grow it flowering out the top without the leaves underneath going all dead looking?
In submersed form it is definitely a light loving plant indeed, got it in a wood dominant scape with about 5 kilos of Mopani and this still leaches tanines like crazy it's like my water rather looks like worst coffee ever color instead of tea after a week.. That already blocks a lot of light and this plant doesn't seem to love that very much, but it still is to early to say.. :)

I'm afraid i have to discard this plant, it, roots fast and grows fast.. But to keep it beuatifull in submersed form it probably needs a massive amount of light. And as stated in other articles rather a high tank, i would say minimum 50 cm and up. It just grows to fast to keep as submersed in shallow tanks, no keeping up with it. In low light it grows somewhat slower, but still the fasted grower in the tank. But the lower leaves don't stay pretty, just turn yellow and slowly wither away before it's 5 to 10 cm bright green and clean tip reaches the surface. In my setup it would be constantly cutting replanting, it's just a to large plant to make this work in a smaller to shallow tank.

I'm still not sure because i like to see it's emersed growth before i finaly deside. But submersed it's not suitable for the setup i placed it in, i do not have the light for it. And yet not the tank for it, next to the fact it doesn't realy find it's place planted among crypts, at least not in this setup... Already did put a small piece of a large growing crypt in fron of it to replace it with.. I'm not going to trim it again and let it go in emersed form.
DSCF5643 (Kopie).JPG

I'll keep it alive till the summer and move it to the pond outside and back inside so it might survive the winter so i can keep it as pond plant.

Hi Marcel,

Are you still keeping this? My 2 stems are now about 10, it propagates very easily. Like you say, growth is incredibly fast, even without much light.

Have you tried it outside or to transition it to floating form yet? Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom, good to hear yours doing so great.. Are you keeping them high tech?? Mine din't do so well.. I guess the tank also wasn't only to small but yet not matured enough for this heavy feeder, not a plant for a new low tech setup on inert substrate.. It indeed roots very fast within days and grows like crazy, but in my case it continiously died of its lower leaves.. Getting dark and black.. So i took it out of the tank and threw it in the goldfish tub in the cellar in the hope it kept alive for the comming summer.. But it turned into a goldfish snack, they at it totaly away.. :lol:

But i ordered some new cuttings already to try outside this summer, in a tub away from fish.. As far as i know if it reaches the surface and gets enough food and light it will transition into emersed floaters. So leaving it at the surface must do that on time. I'll get my new ones this week.. :)

Now i wonder why mine did so bad in the new low tech tank?? Probably took it out to soon, it didn't fit the setup.. But good to know, now i have high hopes for the new portion i get.. Thanks.. :)

Hi just a heads up to any one interested in this plant, Java-Plants .com are advertising it on there site as in stock. £5.88 for five plants, presumably that means stems.

Good to see it available in the UK, but be aware that Java Plants order direct from Singapore so plants will have been in transit a long time and possibly also covered in pesticides (lethal to shrimp) so be sure to quarantine them first. I ordered from them once a few years ago and didn't have a great experience.

I'll aim to have some stems available in a couple of weeks for anyone interested in the UK.

And it's a very brittle plant, touch it leaves and they turn black if you are a bit to rough.. I'm actualy rather suprised it survived from the Netherlands to Britain in an envelope. I realy tought it would have been mashed to choped spinach if it's longer than a week in a mailbag. Luckely it arived sooner than expected and it likes to grow and recovers easy.. :)
Happy to have a little role in the UK eichornia azurea infestation.. :thumbup: Hope to see some nice ones soon from you guys.. :) Flowering if you please.. :lol:

Back