• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another Walstad Naturescape

Around 6 months is about right, although I've been pushing this with more light to try and get it to mature quicker and as a result it's got serious algae issues...well that and total neglect and a very high bioload = high organics = algae.
You can usually get away with neglecting a mature Walstad type tank for the most part, that is if the lighting is on the low side.
Obviously, this one is relatively immature and I'm paying the price. Not too worried though since I've now reduced the lighting intensity and once the plants begin to dominate I'll hopefully be able to get the algae under control.
Maybe I'll post a warts and all pic later...but it is pretty bad:oops:

Hi Tim, i might be considered cheating and not done when advertising with a Walstad setup.. :rolleyes: I guess, dunno, actualy how this works in the aquascaping world.
But aint Glut an option, just to jumpstart a low tech invironment and get it over the hill in it's first stage and keep the algae at bay?? Or is this considered a death sin and doping offence?

Actualy i did the first 3 months, tho my tank aint Walstad principl it;s just an inert substrate clay cone zozo setup.. But still it kinda worked ok, now since the initial diatom and hair algae atack is over which was huge btw, i'm back to low tech. Got a little bit of BBA roaming around, but not realy exploding.. :) But so far i seem to be over the hill. :)

Me too i hope you get it out, how ever you work around.. But just curious.. :)

Thanks Roy, I'm sure I'll get it under control...eventually.
Hi Marcel...the thought had crossed my mind more than once, but so far I've resisted the temptation. However, now I think I've tackled the cause I just might sneak some in every now and again...on a regular basis - but don't tell anyone:shh:

I can imagine the challenge behind the idea and feeling of being able to get it running without it and is kinda sport by itself.. :) it also crossed my mind not to use it.. But at the other hand i use it in the high tech to batlle algae so why not dope my low tech with it.. :rolleyes: I find it to expensive to keep using it.. All tho it cost me a pogestemon stellatus i thought could do low tech, but it doesn't, not in my setup it died with in a month not dosing glut. Trying limnophila aromatica instead now.. No idea yet..

Good luck Tim.. :)

If it was someone new to planted tanks...they'd probably be worried by now...but i'm sure you would turn things around in no time Troi..:)..Looking forward to more pics.

Back