• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 Ohko Fire

Brilliant pictures. As others have said flow could be interesting here, I can't help thinking that some sort of vertical spray bars could be the solution ?

What's the reason for those 4 rocks behind the main pillars??

They all lean into each other. It would collapse without those big rocks at the back. Plus, in a fts you see a tiny bit of them so they provide some depth illusion.

Just thought I'd link this in case it is of any help in regards to the yogurt method. (read through the author's posts as he states some info throughout the thread, such as just letting it dry 4-5 hours then flooding)
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22-planted-nano-tanks/994282-gondwana-[2-5-gal]-2.html#post8917874
Instructional
http://bolbiaquarium.blogspot.hr/2016/02/attaching-moss-to-hardscape-yoghurt.html

Extremely nice scape by the way. I too would advise not adjusting/rescaping anything really, it already looks incredible as it is!

FWIW, in my experience adding yoghurt doesn't help when dry starting on rock. On wood it definitely helps in preventing mould/fungus from developing but on rock it just adds to the smell!

Attached is a (bad) photo of some fissidens I added to a shrimp tank this morning. It was 'seeded' about a month ago - just water, moss and a tiny amount of diluted macro and micro EI ferts to help it on its way. (The porous structure of the lava rock helps as it just soaks up water and hence doesn't dry out).

Regards, Mark
2016-04-26%2009.31.48%20HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-04-26%2009.31.48%20HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 98
    4.4 MB · Views: 105
    4.4 MB · Views: 95
    4.4 MB · Views: 97
FWIW, in my experience adding yoghurt doesn't help when dry starting on rock. On wood it definitely helps in preventing mould/fungus from developing but on rock it just adds to the smell!

Attached is a (bad) photo of some fissidens I added to a shrimp tank this morning. It was 'seeded' about a month ago - just water, moss and a tiny amount of diluted macro and micro EI ferts to help it on its way. (The porous structure of the lava rock helps as it just soaks up water and hence doesn't dry out).

Regards, Mark/QUOTE]
Nice info Mark. I was about to try some youghurt method for fissidens.

Thanks Mark.

I've decided to give dry start fissidens a try. I'll do a small area with a yoghurt mix and the rest without yogurt. See if it makes any difference. Hopefully I'll get it done this weekend.

Whoa. I saw that fts from before but the side and top down photos reallly show the full story. So awesome. Did you horde all the ohko in australia?

Hi Mot,

I just this second sent you an email.

I didn't leave much ohko behind when I left the lfs that day. :D I have a lot left over, enough to do a another 3 or 4ft tank with a 'normal' amount of rock.

Well I wizzed up a bunch of fissidens with some rodi + a pump of ada step 1. Drained it so I was left with a thin soup and painted it on the rocks.

The tank has about 2cm of water in it. And like all dsm's I covered the top with cling wrap.

Within 24hrs fuzzy white mold appeared in a couple places. Within 48hrs more white mold, a lot more. oh oh :thumbdown:

I'll give it a good airing out tonight. My guess is that the humidity is too high. My cheap humidity gauge says 99%. I might even poke a hole or two in the cling wrap.

Last edited:
Same deal. White fuzz.

I wonder if the mold is feeding on the moss? Or is just using the moss as a nice place to settle down and soak up all the damp and light.

Dantrasy, I suggest you use normal tap water. It's got chloramine which may retard fuzz.

Well I wizzed up a bunch of fissidens with some rodi + a pump of ada step 1. Drained it so I was left with a thin soup and painted it on the rocks.

The tank has about 2cm of water in it. And like all dsm's I covered the top with cling wrap.

Within 24hrs fuzzy white mold appeared in a couple places. Within 48hrs more white mold, a lot more. oh oh :thumbdown:

I'll give it a good airing out tonight. My guess is that the humidity is too high. My cheap humidity gauge says 99%. I might even poke a hole or two in the cling wrap.

Was your rock new/clean? and what about the moss?

At the end of the day, the mould needs something to feed on - so it's strange that it found lunch so quickly:(

I doubt you can really have humidity too high either - in fact I'd say your aiming for 100% - especially when starting on rock/stone, as moss will dry out that much quicker.

regards, Mark

The dsm with fissidens was a huge failure, I'll have to do it the regular way. Lucky I didn't waste too much moss.

I have a little more time on my hands now so things should progress in the next week or so.

Yesterday I got the scaffold in place (yes, I really am just making this up as I go).

crate_zps3mjiomaf.jpg

What's the concept for the new egg rate suspended in mid air? Is it going to be filled with soil????

I plan to afix needle java, mosses and mc on top. I don't think this tank will have any soil.
Wow so the tank will just be roots below that black egg crate??? I don't think I've ever seen a tank like that! Going where no aquascaper has before. NICE!

Thank Rebel. Just taking it slow and working backwards from an image I have in my head.

If things go to plan sides shots will look pretty weird :crazy:

Got the pumping done yesterday and the electrics/cables the day before that. I'll fill soon; just need to get a long hose for siphoning out the back sliding door onto the grass/garden. I figure several fills/drains will be needed before switching the filter on (there's a lot of rock dust).

I decided to upgrade the light (even before trying to grow anything with it). 2 x 4ft strips of lighting is due to arrive today from Make My LED.
Strips are x6 3w per foot. They'll fit into the existing fixture no problem, just have to wire it up. o_O

The new leds have been installed ....

2jbp92t.png

I found an old S-Video cable I once made and used its braid to cover the 3 wires coming out of the panel.

289de9w.png

And more importantly, the tank is filled :D and I've started planting/gluing. I thought an overgrown 2ft would provide enough plants to get started, but I think I'll need more of everything. It's still pretty sparse. Anyway, I'll get a pic up tomorrow.

Back