• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Apocalypse

Aqua360

So perhaps I'm being a little dramatic with my thread title, but I have an important question for you guys/gals; hoping that I may learn from those facing this dilemma:

Cats.

My girlfriend is looking to move in with me soon, bringing with her two cats. Given that relationships are about compromise, and nothing to do with the fact that her word is law :lol:; I'll need to consider cat-proofing my currently open topped planted tank.

Right now, it has some floating salvinia natans; and is a braced tank, I wondered if i'd be able to get away with some cut to size clear plexi glass? Air exchange would occur at the end of the tank with the hob filter, it being the only open end. Would the inevitable high humidity at the other ends, damage the salvinia? I'm also assuming it would block/disperse some light, which isn't a bad thing given the current intensity...

anyway, thanks in advance as always,

Colin

How well do you know those cats? It may depend on their temperament. ....

How well do you know those cats? It may depend on their temperament. ....

well enough to know not to trust them :lol:

I'd love to think nothing would happen lol, but i can just imagine the day i return home to a bloodbath...

The most effective method would be to wire the tank rim in to the 240 volt mains supply. Failing that, a cover would be a really good idea!

I got a 6mm plexiglass one cut for mine, due to jumpers rather than cats. The only advice I can give you is DO NOT USE http://www.plasticsheets.com they are a bunch of cretins. Shoddy work, late delivery, awful customer service. Finally got something usable on the second attempt and binned the first one they sent, but the quality was not great still, just couldn't be bothered dealing with the idiotic girl on the end of the phone who had customer service lessons from Stalin.

Are tanks such that cats can just sit nearby & Go Fishing? or will cats need to leap up?

If the latter, it will likely only happen once - Cat in Aquaria makes a bit of a mess but quite comical (no animals were injured ;)) & seldom repeats
If the former, don't be surprised to see Cat Paw sweeping through Aquaria after squeezing through (impossibly) tiny opening :eek: (lives & eyes were lost :arghh: )

A Water Weapon can do wonders for Cat Training ;)
(just don't use often! Stressed Cats are No Fun to live with :grumpy: )

Much depends on the level of prey drive in any given cat, redirect that energy with interactive play & training
Agility Cats
Adventure Cats
Cats can be a lot of fun :D

The most effective method would be to wire the tank rim in to the 240 volt mains supply. Failing that, a cover would be a really good idea!

I got a 6mm plexiglass one cut for mine, due to jumpers rather than cats. The only advice I can give you is DO NOT USE http://www.plasticsheets.com they are a bunch of cretins. Shoddy work, late delivery, awful customer service. Finally got something usable on the second attempt and binned the first one they sent, but the quality was not great still, just couldn't be bothered dealing with the idiotic girl on the end of the phone who had customer service lessons from Stalin.

:lol: i already suggested similar, the other half didn't appreciate the logic ;)

I work for a company that can cut the materials etc, so no dealing with bad companies thankfully!

Are tanks such that cats can just sit nearby & Go Fishing? or will cats need to leap up?

If the latter, it will likely only happen once - Cat in Aquaria makes a bit of a mess but quite comical (no animals were injured ;)) & seldom repeats
If the former, don't be surprised to see Cat Paw sweeping through Aquaria after squeezing through (impossibly) tiny opening :eek: (lives & eyes were lost :arghh: )

A Water Weapon can do wonders for Cat Training ;)
(just don't use often! Stressed Cats are No Fun to live with :grumpy: )

Much depends on the level of prey drive in any given cat, redirect that energy with interactive play & training
Agility Cats
Adventure Cats
Cats can be a lot of fun :D

Nearby and go fishing unfortunately lol

Our 3 cats have shown little interest ever in going fishing but I'd recommend a cover glass resting on ADA metal clips. I got a piece of glass cut locally to fit my 60cm tank for £15 complete with polished edges all sorted in 5mins while I waited. No more dead fish on the floor in the morning and less condensation in the house. :)

What about metal or plastic mesh over the top ? I wonder which would block less light and require lower maintenance mesh or a glass/plexi sheet ?

What about metal or plastic mesh over the top ? I wonder which would block less light and require lower maintenance mesh or a glass/plexi sheet ?

My fear with mesh is that it's not really cat proof. From experience of cats curiosity combined with persistence, I envisage you returning home to find a huge mess with shredded mesh or a cat actually stuck in the mesh.

I think this picture demonstrates my fears quite well :D

EuYgOQT.jpg

I reckon I'm swapping this tank for one with a cover guys. Then worst case scenario, I tape the cover down lol.

I hate cats :lol: sorry, feline lovers!

I reckon I'm swapping this tank for one with a cover guys. Then worst case scenario, I tape the cover down lol.

I hate cats :lol: sorry, feline lovers!

Just get the plexi cover, I'm sure you don't need to swap out the entire tank. Alternaitvely just go with my mains power idea :twisted:

Just get the plexi cover, I'm sure you don't need to swap out the entire tank. Alternaitvely just go with my mains power idea :twisted:

It's a combination of factors really, having problems with co2 fluctuating in the current tank as its long and low; as well as filtering it properly, so this might just be my excuse to get something more suited to aquascaping lol

It's a combination of factors really, having problems with co2 fluctuating in the current tank as its long and low; as well as filtering it properly, so this might just be my excuse to get something more suited to aquascaping lol

Well if you need a good excuse for a new aquarium... bingo! :D

Back