• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Riparium Blending Fore and Background

ZeeDeveel

I'm concerned that if I just stick shower caddies full of substrate to the back of the tank to grow plants out of, well... The tank will look like it's got shower caddies full of substrate stuck to the back of the tank with plants growing out the top. How does one avoid this scenario? Is it possible to obfuscate the caddies in someway? Or are they less visible than you imagine when the tank is mature?

I'm concerned that if I just stick shower caddies full of substrate to the back of the tank to grow plants out of, well... The tank will look like it's got shower caddies full of substrate stuck to the back of the tank with plants growing out the top. How does one avoid this scenario? Is it possible to obfuscate the caddies in someway? Or are they less visible than you imagine when the tank is mature?

Try plants that will grow up from the substrate to cover the caddies, they become less visible once it starts growing in :)

Both good suggestions! I'm torn between the two. What wood would you use BigTom? Is wood recently from a tree ok? Something I could find in a local woodland and then boiled and soaked? Am I looking for wood that looks like tree roots or driftwood or what would you recommend? :)

Would moss take hold on the caddies well?

I suppose I could sand them? What about the roots of the planted plants? Would they find their way out through the moss? Which moss gives a nice low profile?

Last edited:
Back