• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter filling with air? How?

Lindy

My jbl 1501 keeps spitting out air quite often. I had thought it was pulling in air bubbles from the air stone in the small tank but I've moved it to the big tank now, with new pipe work and no air stone, and it is still doing it. Annoyed as this is the filter I had wanted to run co2 into. How can air get inside a filter?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It could be the impeller, I think they can begin wobbling from the rod in the middle, your filter may be a bit louder than before, if this is the case then you will need to buy a new impellor & rod if it is removable as I think either one can be the problem.
Im no expert, just from past experiences with a fluval 306.
Ryan :)

I've found out that the only way filters fill with air is from the intake. Look for a crack, loose connections, etc...in the parts above the water. 99% of air in the filter is because of that.
I had severe troubles with one of my filters, couldn't figure out where the air was coming from until I found a hair like crack in the inlet. It was hardly visible. I put a piece of hose over it and the problem was sorted.

I checked and cleaned the impeller and rod and both seemed fine but will bear that in mind.
I had wondered about the inlet pipe and can replace with a new eheim inlet to test the theory. Thanks for the response. Will be annoying if I have to buy yet more pipe work but that is better than a gassy filter.

I checked and cleaned the impeller and rod and both seemed fine but will bear that in mind.
I had wondered about the inlet pipe and can replace with a new eheim inlet to test the theory. Thanks for the response. Will be annoying if I have to buy yet more pipe work but that is better than a gassy filter.

I think any leak could cause it .

I had an APS 2000 which had this same occasional 'burping' issue, I checked all the pipes etc and could not find anything wrong. Then one night I had a power cut and without the pump running it started leaking from the main seal around the head and drained the tank over night.

I replaced the inlet pipe and it stopped burping but if I shake it it has air inside still. Just going to take it off the tank.

quite often when first filled some air will get trapped in the media and can take a few days to completely clear.
this filter has been running since last august and only developed this problem recently. I hadn't opened the filter up for a while. I've taken the filter off the tank this morn in case it starts leaking and have emailed JBL to see what they think.

The filter was full of air because it already had air in it getting from the inlet. It shouldn't leak unless the air is from the seal and not the inlet. As Chris said, it may take a while for it to fully clear. The filter needs to re-prime itself. I once didn't put the baskets in evenly. The filter closed but it did not seal properly. It started dripping from the side in a few days. This didn't cause it to pull air though, just a wet carpet, and once I re-seated everything, it was fine. It did give me a scare however...

Back