• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank start up.

Brad123

Starting a dirt tank (125 L ) up this weekend have a few question.
Light is 2, t8 18 watts. 2 external filters eheim 2215 fluval 206. Wave maker cant rememder flow.
Lights will come on for 6 hours.
Going to put as much plants in as my wife will let me spend. (hope to full tank)

Do I put Co2 on straight away or leave it for a bit? Will be using a inline reactor.
Can I use just 1 reactor on 1 filter with or should I put 1 on each filter ie: 2 reactor
Do I start dosing EI straight away or leave for a bit.
Thanks for any advice
Brad

Better to get your CO2 sorted as soon as you put the plants in, definitely don't leave it. Strongly advise you to invest in a pH pen, I've had success with the cheap yellow ones from eBay that are £5-£10. Put the CO2 on 2 hours before lights on and aim for 1.0 pH drop by lights on. Your pH will continue to drop beyond 1 point if you don't have enough surface agitation.

Keep it simple, 1 reactor on 1 filter will be enough for a tank your size.

The sooner you start dosing EI the better.

Thanks Julian will get a ph pen and have a play.
Looking forward to the weekend to start it all.

With a dirt tank there is no such thing called to much plants.
Start with CO2 right away and dont forget about weekly Water changes.
Good luck!

Thanks all the tank has been running for just over a week. All looking good doing about 8% daily water change and 50% on the weekend.
Light is on for 7 hours. CO2 checker is dark green ( still waiting for ph pen to arrive )

1464205849010263813491.jpg
Just see this growing on 1 or 2 leaves. Is this normal for a new tank setup?
Lights are on for 7 hours
CO2 comes on 2 hours before lights
Dosing EI

Back