• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help/Suggestions/Advice

GotCrabs

Greetings all, haven't been on here for a while, had a little break from tanks, fish, shrimp, plants and when I decided to get back into it, I have just failed.

All my equipment (Mr Aqua 12g, Eheim 2213, LED, Heater, etc) has been given to my Mum as she is unwell and wanted her own fish tank, so I set everything up for her the way she wanted giving me now nothing to work with except some small bits and pieces.

In recent times I haven't exactly had the best of luck with keeping tanks, fish, shrimp, plants, so I fall in and out of love with it all and lose patience with it all quite a bit, but I am determined to create and keep a nice tank.

My goal is to have on display a show case scaped tank, I'm wanting something to sit back and enjoy and know that I created it.

The image I have in mind is a Iwagumi display, carpeted with 1 specie of plant, that's it.

I'm wanting to create this scape in DSM (Dry Start Method).

So, I'm looking for suggestions, help, advice on what to use in regards to substrate, lighting, plants, I'm looking at either buying another Mr Aqua 12g or perhaps getting a 60cm tank that will let me fit a Ista 60cm LED that I already have.

At the moment, I'm thinking either in regards to tank a Mr Aqua 12g (90cm x 21cm x 24cm, 45l) or a nice frameless 60cm tank, in regards to lighting, if I go with the 60cm tank I have an Ista 60cm White/Blue LED to use, if I decide to buy another Mr Aqua 12g I'm thinking the UP Aqua Pro Z Series (90cm), in regards to substrate I'm thinking either ADA Amazonia or CAL Aqua Black Earth, filtration will be either an Eheim 2213 or Eheim 2217, am looking at an external heating option to keep most hardware out of the tank, am also wishing to go CO2 free when the time comes to flood the tank.

In regards to plant life, what could I use, what would you suggest? I'm a noob, I admit, thinking of plants like HC, Glosso, Hair Grass, anything else?

All suggestions, help, thoughts, advice is welcome, thanks.

Monte Carlo is an easy growing carpet plant, I only speak from what I've read.

HC/Glosso/Grass, in my experience will require lots of light. It will survive in low light, but it won't grow very noticeably.

Back