• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking plants

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hi guys,

I have received my plants this morning but I am living for Congo only Tuesday morning. So I wanted to know what is the best method to stock it?
Should I keep them in the shipping box inside the house at 22 C or should I open the box and the individual bags and put them in a bucket with 3 cm of water near a window ?
If I leave them in the box in the dark it would be the same as if they're doing the long trip from
France to Congo.
I want them to arrive in the best shape.

Thanks for your advices.

Cheers

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Long term is dark and cool the best option... That's also how they keep cut flowers for transport several days before they end up at the shop from the nurseries where the auction always is the pitstop in between... For cut flowers without any roots this is most importand to lower their metabolism.. For plants with roots in moist rootmedia then dark is not realy a must, but it keeps the temp low.. A closed moist bag in daylight can get pretty hot inside. transparent plastic bag works the same as behind glass if hit buy the sun gets very steamy. So dark in the box can't hurt for an adult plant a week maybe, but not much longer for young under developed plants.

In my opinion its best to put them in a glass/plastic container with plenty of water, ferts too if you have them at hand, and near the window where they can get enough light. I've kept plants floating in a bucket with light over them for months. Without light they die. I once had a delayed shipment of plants that took 2 weeks to arrive. They were in the dark for that period. Although they didn't look damaged upon arrival, they all melted within the next few days. I barely saved a stalk each to regrow them again.

Ironically I've had the same melting experience after keeping plants in a bucket :( - they looked great while still in the bucket & planted up just fine, then proceeded to melt into oblivion over the ensuing weeks ... perhaps my house is just too cold ... perhaps it's due to vagaries during shipping -
eg, temperature extremes - not many shippers seem to use temperature sensitive tape etc during shipping these days - :confused: as it's a very economic "tracker"
- rather than aftercare

Perhaps just confirm with sale company as to recommended storage.
:)

I've done both - not planned of course but sometimes things just don't go as planned ... now I just try to minimize "holding" times
This came up in another thread recently & Mick.Dk also suggested just "holding" in the shipping box, as I recall delay time was also a few days.

Guys thanks for your help
Do you think that 22 C is to high ?
I should keep them in the box outside 16 C during night and 25 during day. They are now in the box in my room temp is exactly 21,3C during day it goes up to 23C ?
I really want them to arrive in good shape

I've done both - not planned of course but sometimes things just don't go as planned ... now I just try to minimize "holding" times

That's strange because with tank light(18w over a 20l bucket), floating in a bucket with occasional ferts mine lived and grew for nearly a year until I finally binned them because I was never going to plant them. I would assume the light was not sufficient over your bucket. That's a sure way to kill plants fast.

If the holding period is short, I of course wouldn't go through the extent of keeping them in a bucket. But two weeks is a long time for plants being kept without light. I should have kept pictures of my 5f tank when all my lights went at once and I couldn't repair them on time. I can't remember if it was 2 weeks or 3 weeks it took for a heavily planted tank to melt down completely(besides the anubias and some crypts)

Plants look great - I'd just leave them as packed ... unless you are able to reseal them as seen.

I supect they would be fine with or without light - just be careful of temperatures increasing inside the bags (why I'd be inclined to leave them dim)

Hi
Thank you
Yes I think it's better I leave then like that.
I remember two years ago I ordered plants from France it took 11 days to reach my house. Plants arrived in good shape. The only difference was that it was winter time so temp was lower. I always order during winter for that reason I asked that because now temp are higher.

Cheers guys

Keep it in a cool place and maybe for a couple of hours expose them to some artificial light. Most of these are grown emersed anyways and it looks like there is some moisture inside the bags so you basically have mini greenhouse. Dont keep in the sun because it will get really hot and melt

Back