• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Lighting frame ideas needed

What do you yet have or whish to use, mean what model, garden spot light doesn't tell me anything more then it gives light. :)
Do you have a link or pic to that specific spot light you like to use to see it's mounting possibilities? :)

No that specific light from the posted link is not dimmable in its specs.. :)..
but a shelf is not practical over my particular tank as it is a corner tank

Maybe a corner shelf can do.. The thing is with that fixture you link to, is the mounted bracket is not centered, so with a cable suspension from the ceiling it can never hang in balance. it will always tilt to the heaviest side. So you need someting to fixate it to. Or take off the bracket and diy create a new bracket or drill some holes in it to center it's weight and hang it. There are universal cable suspensions on the market from aqau medic aquafit they sell 3 types of different cable suspensions for their excisting light fixtures, with some diy involved they can be used universaly.. I'm using the aqua medic aquafit 2 my self for my own diy led fixture. :)

If the tank is open top, then you'll have the walls and the ceiling to mount to and that's about it.

Nice find. Do you know if there's a way to dim these?
The data sheet specifically says "non dimmable".

Also these are quite large beam angle (120'), meant as flood lights obviously, so unless they are kept right above the water surface will "spill" & waste a lot of light.

There are blogs where people have taken these Chinese LED flood lights apart and replaced the LED driver with a dimmable driver.

Issues they ran into were guessing what the LED current drive was, as obvioulsy the LED emitter is completely unkown and unlabelled. Bit of fiddling with voltmeter and current meter and be careful of 220V required there.

Finally the fact that the light spread was still 120' (or greater) is a pain and the whole setup looked like a series of floodlight bodged above a tank. Also they suffer LED failures in the array after not very long.

Back