• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30 cm Nano Nature Scape

ShawnMac

Hello all, thought I'd share my little nano scape. It is not yet complete, but after the latest trim the stems have been shaped well and should be ready for a final photo to present in a few weeks.

Specs: 30 cm 3.5 gallon (unit conversion is left for you :p)

Light: LED flex mini

filter: eheim 2211 with ADA glass jet pipe outflow. I found the spin type a little light on the flow through the dense plantings of stems. I had some melting and less than ideal growth with it.

Substrate: ADA aquasoil

Hardscape: Manzanita

Flora: Rotala green, rotala H'ra, rotala wallichii, Eleocharis belem, fissidens fontanus, lobelia cardinalis mini

Fauna: neocaridina heteropoda "red", Boraras brigittae

This is how it looked a couple days after planting. I had not put the wood in yet, since it was still floating around. There was little space to try and weigh it down with a stone.

?temp_hash=05b3b15b6864cf099fa35c2f8d4671c8.jpg

more images coming soon...

Attachments

• IMAG0407_BURST002.jpg
    IMAG0407_BURST002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,007
like it. Filled out nice and I like the hard scape addition

Thank you. The video was shot after the first trim grew back out. I've since done two more trims. The latest trim has given it the shape I wanted.

This little setup has grown in very nicely. My only trouble has been keeping the fish inside it. All but one have jumped out over the course of the last couple months. :dead::(

like it. Filled out nice and I like the hard scape addition

Thank you. It was planted with this piece in mind. It just wouldn't stay down at the start, so I soaked it in another tank and allowed the plants time to grow in while it became saturated.

Hi Shawn
Very nice indeed....looks great....like the Rotala's and the belem!
hoggie

Thanks! The belem works really well for this one. Something like H. monte carlo or HC would have been too neat. The plants are swallowing up the manzanita while it helps me maintain the midground.

The rotalas are growing very dense under the flex mini, which makes trimming the two species into two distinct bushes easier. I hope to have the wallachii spilling over in the left corner. At the time the video was taken the rotala green was choking it out a bit, so I cut it back and now there is some room for the wallichii to grow.

Very Nice looking nano setup...I love this mini flexi light, would probably use one for my next project. :D

Sorry about the jumping boraras...I lost one B.Urophtalmoides this way too...:sick:

I love it! Very nice thick feeling!

Thank you. I think I've managed to create the look and feel of a much larger tank in this one. I'm hoping to get a proper final photo done soon. The R. wallichii needs some extra time, so one more refined shaping trim should do it.

I'm starting to have some special plans for this scape. Since it is so small it is easily moveable. I am considering taking it on a little local tour to introduce folks to Aquascaping. First I need to get a nice cabinet for it and a CO2 regulator since this is running off a splitter hooked into three other tanks.

That rock composition in the 45P is outstanding - it looks as if they've grown there :D

My rocks always look placed :oops:

That rock composition in the 45P is outstanding - it looks as if they've grown there :D

My rocks always look placed :oops:

Thank you!
Lots of practice...I went through several various arrangements before settling on this one. It was amazingly simple. Only 3 stones...very nice stones with great character.

To avoid the "placed" look you could try by just putting in a stone randomly and trying to work a scape around that randomness. I do not do this, but am interested to try it as I think others have used it to good effect.

One thing I do try to do is to not place the stones on the substrate. I like to have them in the substrate a little bit. The lower stone is the larges one in there and is holding up the prominent stone as well as much of the substrate.

Last edited:
To avoid the "placed" look you could try by just putting in a stone randomly and trying to work a scape around that randomness. I do not do this, but am interested to try it as I think others have used it to good effect.

One thing I do try to do is to not place the stones on the substrate. I like to have them in the substrate a little bit
yep - working with these concepts :rolleyes: :oops:
Finally got some ADA Ryuoh or Seiryu stone (cant recall the box label :confused: ) & it's definitely much easier to toss together & get something that looks halfways "natural"- compared to my previous attempts with landscape Blue Stone (beautiful stone but difficult to break into good shapes).
Unfortunately available stones were all quite small & tank is 90cm x45cm x 53cm (H) but having fun anyway - practise helps, just I've no eye for it, so something I like very much "through air" suddenly looks much different "through water" (& not for the "better" :lol: )

Back