• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does green water matter if you don't keep fish?

Or just ditch the fountain and plant a single nice colored and small waterlily or a small Nelumbo cultivar. :)
But agree a nice piece of driftwood with mosses and ferns stickin out as an island could also look awsome or a nice shaped rock. The cubistic modern design screams for Keep It Simple and minimalistic it easily becomes to distractive all..

just ditch the fountain
We wanted the pond for the noise of the fountain! I've never seen a pond with driftwood and mosses etc. sounds like an aquascape! I shall have a look at the Nelumbo cultivars thanks for that, although it has to be white or green as it a white/green garden! Absolutely with you about the minimal as this was our inspiration for the pond:
Large-6wg.jpg

On hunting for pictures of an island layout I did stumble across the most gorgeous "container" ponds (low water bowls) filled with pistia stratiotes (water cabbage) and mini water lilies... great ideas for the patio!!!!
Malaysia-0477.jpg
d7071b03348b651c2ab57e6047d777c4.jpg

I've never seen a pond with driftwood and mosses etc. sounds like an aquascape!

Well it's more like Wabikusa or kokedama style, like a rock or piece of driftwood in the middle sticking out emersed with plants and mosses growing on top. Then you little pond would resamble de dish used.. Ive seen pictures of creations like that and some did look very intriguing. Also found them on pinterest where i'm subscribed with tags like kokedama, wabikusa, aquascaping, nature, garden etc. Can't find the particular pictures back so soon, but there are enough of them to find like that. remember one with a rock sticking out of the water with a little bonzai styled acer growing on top with mosses and grasses at it's base. And one with a piece of wood tree trunk like with grass growing on it.. :) Looked awsome. But all a matter of taste of course.

I bought my Nelumbo seeds from ebay for a dollar (China) they come in all sizes and colors. You'll find it if you search for Nelumbo Nucifera Bowl These seeds are very easy to germinate and once germinated if warm enough grow like mad.. I'm growing a Purple Fire at the time, but not yet warm enough, it's still very young and not flowering.

Nymphaea pygmaea alba and pygmaea helvola are white, not to big and suitable for shallow ponds.. :)

Well it's more like Wabikusa
Thank you so much for telling me about this style Marcel, it's stunning! Wonderful inspiration for aquascaping and I can see why you have suggested it for a small pond!
Gorgeous plant! Sadly being in the UK I'm not sure they would grow well (we're in the Midlands) even if I did have the skill to grow them. We have the Nymphaea Gonnere which we hope will work with the fountain, so far it looks ok. I'd love to see your Pinterest boards Marcel, could you post the link? I'm here: https://uk.pinterest.com/papermulberry/
Looks to be nice inspiration.
So sweet rebel!

Your welcome Glenda :) I do not have a board at pinterest, i oftenly end up there while searching inspirations. I log in via facebook which i actualy also do not actively use for anything and only tagged some interests keywords. I never made a board just lurk the site once in a while, i guess if i did i wouldn't have lost the mentioned pictures.. Maybe should create a board there, look into it and share it too.. :) Thanks for sharing yours.. So you're a fashion designer, interesting.. :)

Me too that Nelumbo is a first timer for me and ordered 10 seeds last year.. I tried it indoor in the fishtank it germinates with in days at 25°C and grows like mad.. but it hates flow and even hates liquid carbon more and i killed it. It needs a special low flow tank.. Now i have in the garden in a wooden tub and it's growing rather slow because the weather is holding it back. It needs to be constant above 16°C water temp and full sun to make it grow and flower. At the time this still isn't the case.. But it seems to be a very fast grower once the condition are good. If it ever does you'll see it in my pond journal.. :)

For lilies goes it a bit the same when it comes to flow, if it's to much the refuse to flower.. That why i said ditch the founten.. But you could give it a try.. I have a small one in a small fish tank i only got one flower after reducing the flow for over 50% for many months. An algae outbreak forced me to up the flow again eventualy and it never flowered again, it grows much slower and smaller now. Anyway i have no idea how stron you fountain is and what that will do with a lily, it might not flower.

I know not why but lilies do not like fountains.

I would keep the fountain and have no plants:sorry:
Its not because I don't like plants, its because you can switch a fountain on or off, you always know where it will be, it doesn't shed leaves, and best of all it looks nice.

Maybe should create a board there, look into it and share it too
Let me know the link!
So you're a fashion designer, interesting.. :)
Yes until recently for luxury brand of menswear, but now a "lady that lunches" which leaves me time for a tank!!!
For lilies goes it a bit the same when it comes to flow, if it's to much the refuse to flower.
The fountain head is one that is very restricted to a small area so fingers crossed, the Arum is now flowering and I adore it!
it doesn't shed leaves, and best of all it looks nice.
You have a point!

Yes until recently for luxury brand of menswear, but now a "lady that lunches" which leaves me time for a tank!!!

Well enjoy your lunches by the fullest, i bet after making all those handsome man even more handsome and happy you deserved all the time you have now for yourself.
Can't wait to see what scape (design) you come up with.. :)

Back