• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blue cherry shrimp disappearing / dying

My population of shrimps is now in danger of getting out of hand! :)

There are loads of babies, and I reckon the total population must now be in the hundreds. Whatever the problem was, if indeed there was a problem at all, has certainly gone. Perhaps the tank wasn't mature enough early on?

My only concern is too much genetic diversity. There are still lots of pure blue shrimps, but also some that are clear with black patterning - very attractive. Recently there has been a batch of babies that looked rather reddish, possibly from an adult male whose colouration is white-ish with some hints of red. I'm worried that the diversity might result in the population gradually reverting to the brown wild form, so I have been siphoning up these mis-coloured red babies (and that adult male) and have transferred them into my unheated, unfiltered planted bowl. They seem to be surviving in there quite well, so I will continue my fascist racial cleansing of the main tank! There are already far fewer reddish babies in the main tank.

Haven't seen the bamboo shrimp for a week or two, but that's not unusual - it is very elusive but seems to be surviving.

Back