• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

Still a bummer when a tank is teething..

Thanks guys...yeah just a little bummed out...actually never had algae issues like this before.
But I think I can deal with it, with a little perseverance and know-how:)

It's always a very difficult balancing act until the plant biomass reaches critical mass and then something magical seems to happen and it just takes off and the system becomes super robust.

I'm still learning but this has been a great (honest) journal to read. Every mistake is a learning curve I guess and I've made very similar ones to yourself. Keep up the hard work I canreally see this evolving into an incredible looking scape.

I hope this isn't what I come back to after my hols! Away for 10 days which may get extended due to French air traffic control going on yet another strike. Really missing the tanks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Filamentous diatoms...:arghh: and the rest:arghh:

The tank tooth brush has been working overtime despite lowering the light intensity even more.

I'd tear it down and start again but I'm too lazy so I'll just go with it and see what happens...
TBH, I haven't really given this scape the attention it demands.
I've also had massive melt, and the stump has been disintegrating, both increasing organic load...

In addition I don't think 1 Radion is enough to give the light coverage needed to promote healthy and even plant growth - I tried to compensate by increasing intensity and that just exacerbated the algae problems.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and either buy another Radion, plus hanging rail etc, or buy another light entirely. Suggestions welcome...

However, today I finally got round to getting my CO2 under control and buying a cleanup crew from the local Maidenhead Aquatics (amanos and otos).

Hopefully, things will start to improve soon:rolleyes:

27783928286_8eea4e156b.jpg

[jerk mod ON] "Twinstar: the most innovative technology to inhibit green algae"

:D

[jerk mod OFF]
I really like your scape! Amano shrimp will provide great help against your algae. ;)

Commiserations on this project ... seems it's been determined to test you :twisted:
(obviously the rescape will be a dream :angelic: )

In addition I don't think 1 Radion is enough to give the light coverage needed to promote healthy and even plant growth
these cover a 45cm x 45cm area quite nicely (decent PAR over that area, though you will always have a curve distribution of PAR if looking at a cross section, obviously most intense directly under the light source, then decreasing as move away from the source, manufacturers have lessened this effect by moving to standard ~120* lens rather than the initial ~90* lens)
Kessil A160 also does a nice 45 x 45 cm area (I have 2 on my 90cm tank) ... I've seen some recommendations for these on 60cm tanks, even 60cm cube tanks but you'd want to be planning a rather low light scape :rolleyes:
Kessil A360 does that 60 cm coverage with decent PAR (Ecotech doesn't offer a FW version on their Pro or 30W series)

buy another Radion, plus hanging rail etc
This drives me :banghead: - light costs are $$$$, then you get stuck paying more $ - $$ just to mount the light ... at least Kessil you can just suspend without paying out more (though tank mount arms are obviously $$ - you can see them in George's new eaReef journal)

the stump has been disintegrating,
:( have you had it awhile?
- invest in a Python type water change system, you can do daily water changes in 10min :)

Despite everything tank still looks amazing (& that giant Amano should have everything tidied up in a few :D)

Ecotech - worth asking them about possibility of switching out the light puck in your XR15FW to the XR15 Pro (advertised as full spectrum so may still get enough of a boost though not "designed" for FW)
The ability to switch out lens & pucks seems a good factor in considering Ecotech lighting though I don't know how well this actually translates to real life happenings
(note the lens pack used to be included, then nominal charge, but now runs rather more; haven't seem the pricing on puck upgrades)

Hang in there Tim, it is a beatifull setup, would be a pitty to give up and break it down.. I'm somewhat in the same boat with my low tech.. Running since november, first 12 weeks diatoms, and since the summer started BBA, same story 5 kilos of wood raging organics through the tank. And not the organcs i need at the time, plants holding back and if i put ferts in the BBA blooms all over. But i'll be darned i'll wait it out even if it takes a year, i need and want to get this beast under control. Also an open top and stands under a roof window, have no tank lights at all at the moment, a natural lit low tech, if i dare to switch a light on i hear the BBA blowing a horn. :rolleyes:

Hang in there, you can do it.. :)

[jerk mod ON] "Twinstar: the most innovative technology to inhibit green algae"

:D

[jerk mod OFF]
I really like your scape! Amano shrimp will provide great help against your algae. ;)
Haha...thanks for that - I just like the fine mist it produces:p

Commiserations on this project ... seems it's been determined to test you :twisted:
(obviously the rescape will be a dream :angelic: )

these cover a 45cm x 45cm area quite nicely (decent PAR over that area, though you will always have a curve distribution of PAR if looking at a cross section, obviously most intense directly under the light source, then decreasing as move away from the source, manufacturers have lessened this effect by moving to standard ~120* lens rather than the initial ~90* lens)
Kessil A160 also does a nice 45 x 45 cm area (I have 2 on my 90cm tank) ... I've seen some recommendations for these on 60cm tanks, even 60cm cube tanks but you'd want to be planning a rather low light scape :rolleyes:
Kessil A360 does that 60 cm coverage with decent PAR (Ecotech doesn't offer a FW version on their Pro or 30W series)

This drives me :banghead: - light costs are $$$$, then you get stuck paying more $ - $$ just to mount the light ... at least Kessil you can just suspend without paying out more (though tank mount arms are obviously $$ - you can see them in George's new eaReef journal)

:( have you had it awhile?
- invest in a Python type water change system, you can do daily water changes in 10min :)

Despite everything tank still looks amazing (& that giant Amano should have everything tidied up in a few :D)
Thanks alto. It was a toss up between the Radion and the Kessil. I decided on the Radion because of the greater controllability - but knew I'd be pushing it for coverage. One of the original rock scapes was concave to take this in to account, I glossed over that issue somewhat with this scape.
I think it's about time I invested in a python, and I may bring my home made LED floodlight luminaire out of retirement.

Although, I think the amanos are already making a difference...but it could just be wishful thinking:rolleyes:

Hang in there Tim, it is a beatifull setup, would be a pitty to give up and break it down.. I'm somewhat in the same boat with my low tech.. Running since november, first 12 weeks diatoms, and since the summer started BBA, same story 5 kilos of wood raging organics through the tank. And not the organcs i need at the time, plants holding back and if i put ferts in the BBA blooms all over. But i'll be darned i'll wait it out even if it takes a year, i need and want to get this beast under control. Also an open top and stands under a roof window, have no tank lights at all at the moment, a natural lit low tech, if i dare to switch a light on i hear the BBA blowing a horn. :rolleyes:

Hang in there, you can do it.. :)
Thanks Marcel, that's kind of you to say so.
I think underneath it all there's bit of that with me too - not wanting to let it beat me no matter how long it takes. Also I think if I tore it down I'd loose out on a learning process that may help me out in the long run. I'm hoping it'll come good as it matures.
Hope you get yours under control sooner than later;)

Yo, a real rip roarer this one, how did I miss it!

Hang in there mister....the lowest ebb is the turning of the tide..
Thanks for the encouragement Chris:)

P.S. one of the amanos took a look at the massive amount of algae and promptly moulted... I'm hoping in preparation for gorging itself silly.

Last edited:
As you say so true, giving up spoils the learning curve.. No pain no gain.. ;)
Hope you get yours under control sooner than later;)
Tanks!! Only thing i need is time, switching off the lights did the trick and bba is decreasing.. Only thing is naturaly lit tank, got to go with wath i get, cloudy days less sunny days a lot. But now in summer time it's a lot of hours daylight. Can't anticipate with the intensity, never had an open top under a roof window.. Looks rather cool on sunny days.
Here a pic of 9 o clock in the morning.. Nice experiment..

I love Amano shrimp and otos...

As soon as I'd introduced them I noticed an immediate improvement in the algae situation.

At first I thought it was just wishful thinking, but a week or so down the line and with a little help from me, the algae had all but disappeared. Now it's all gone:D

So that's number 1 ambition conquered, the next is to grow a carpet of HC Cuba in less than ideal conditions, so far so good though...I hope:shifty:

Now I'm starting to think about adding some different plants to add more texture above and below the waterline. Any ideas?

I spent the morning on major maintenance, and introduced half a dozen cherries as well...the results...

27827132740_0980c254b8_c.jpg
28004679532_8620f70091_c.jpg
28029832731_a7a83731bd_c.jpg

Hi thanks Nelson.

Alexander...
26435612806_214edaea76_c.jpg

I inject CO2 through an Up atomizer...it's now on the outflow just before the inline heater (it was on the inlet but my filter was struggling with the build up of gas). Apparently, it's bad practice to position it before the heater but it's position is dictated by practicalities like cabinet size. However, the heater is in the recommended vertical position so it should be fine; free of gas pockets etc.

Last edited:
Back