• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 advice

Worshiper

I am using soda stream co2 with a ceramic difusser under my internal filter. The past month i have used 5 bubbles per second but the co2 doesnt seem to have any effect on the plants, fish or DC.
The fish don't seem to be gasping (not that I want them to:angelic:) just feel like the co2 doesn't seem to be absorbed in the water if that makes sense o_O??

Its a 50 litre tank with tropica substrate and I use the aquatlantis easy led which is equal to 2HOT5s, EI dose and add about 5ml liquid carbon a day but the plants look pale and glassy(which i assume is lack of co2).

How big is your filter ? It needs a flow rate of at least x10 tank volume ie 500litres/hour with decent spray bar/outlet to ensure the CO2 can get to all the tank.

Have you a picture of the setup and do you have enough flow to suspend the Co2 bubbles in the water column long enough for them to absorb?

Sounds odd, but even without gas, you're dosing a huge amount if glud liquid for 50litres and this might be why you're plants look glassy. Sou ds like melting.

For reference, I OD liquid carbon at 6ml per day in my 155 litre tank. This has dual 24w T5HO lighting and the plants thrived. Ive also added Co2 FE kit only a few days ago and the plants are pearling up towards the end of the lighting period.

I think you're overdosing with liquid carbon. This is an algaecide but in higher concentrate it will kill plants.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

It is an internal filter. 650 litres/hour. Co2 tiny bubbles get circulated well around the tank n then rise to the surface.

I know comparing bps is also not great, but you're also higher than me there too! I'm running a DC which now turns green at around 3.5bps. Again, my tank is also 3x the size of yours.

How are you measuring the amount of Co2 gas in the water column?

Have you a picture of the setup and do you have enough flow to suspend the Co2 bubbles in the water column long enough for them to absorb

Not a very clear pic sorry.
I used to use a DC to measure but removed it as it doesnt seems to change colour the past few months that iv had it :(.

Attachments

• 2016-06-28 14.35.02.jpg
    2016-06-28 14.35.02.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
Did you ever change the bromide solution since it was installed?

If it were my tank, I'd light it for 7 hours per day, cut right back on the liquid carbon (probably 1ml per day) and time the Co2 two hours before lights on and shutdown one hour before lights out. Monitor growth closely for any side shoots from the hairgrass. I'd also find a way to monitor your Co2 injection.

What about your timing too? I used a DIY set up once with a regular (nano) diffuser but I turned it on two hours before the tank lights came one, didn't really care about the BP/s rate because I couldn't control that with a yeast system.
However following this regime (and switching off at dusk), I did get a very good growth in my plants, the leaves were rich, deep green, lush and hair algae was drastically reduced.

What about your timing too?
I have it set to come on 70 minutes before the lights n switch off an hour after. Not sure why the co2 concentration isnt improving. o_O
Its about 3bps now n i am manually checking the co2 levels with the solution in a test tube every hour. Still shows insufficient co2! My Hairgrass is slowly spreading but sending out yellowish leaves.

You can buy for around 30-40 euros a permanent pH meter (have a look at this one, actually the one I have). I did not set my CO2 right until I had one of those. Then you can test your pH before and after CO2 injection and you´ll know whether your CO2 levels are OK or not by simply aiming for a 1 unit pH drop.

Any other method (bps, dropchecker, etc) will not be accurate enough to check whether you are OK in terms of CO2 or not

My ph pen has just arrived in the post. I plan on doing the same (measure a 1 point drop) I'll let you know how I get on with it

Just an update that I've found the pH pen invaluable in getting the co2 dialled in properly. I've compared it to my API solution tests and both are identical so I'm confident it's accurate.

Back