• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Lazy Asian Biotope

Obvioulsy growth of Balansae isn't a problem. ;)

Out of curiosity, what's the monster on the right in this earlier scape?

img_1043-jpg.82372.jpg

Meanwhile after an approx 30% water change and a minor trim today, here is a video update with some closer footage. The balansae is really starting to curl back on itself in the current now whilst the crypts shaded by it are growing taller. The only trouble with this denser growth is that I see very little of the hillstream loaches now... maybe I should get more of them

A recap - 30-12-15
DSCF8325.jpg

03-07-16

DSCF8666.jpg

Quite pleased with that!

The circulation effect from the Maxpect Gyre is quite evident by the way the balansae is curling back in the under current and the crypts on the bottom are streaming back. I've had to turn the maxspect upto around 80% power. It's going to be time to thin it out soon not least because the stands of balansae are really restricting the flow, but right now I'm enjoying the jungle.

Attachments

• DSCF8325.jpg
    DSCF8325.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF8325.jpg
    DSCF8325.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF8666.jpg
    DSCF8666.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • DSCF8325.jpg
    DSCF8325.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF8666.jpg
    DSCF8666.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 146
  • DSCF8666.jpg
    DSCF8666.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • DSCF8325.jpg
    DSCF8325.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF8666.jpg
    DSCF8666.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
Thanks, balansae is a very beautiful plant but this tank isn't really big enough to truly do it justice. I'm imagining a similar scape enlarged into say 6m by 1.5m with the the balansae streaming totally free of any confines...
Umm not in my house!

DSCF8670.jpg

What a great low tech! Mine doesn't seem to have your level of growth at all. I run a single 54W T5HO and no CO2.

Thanks, I'm crediting the deep and very old substrate chock full of old echinodorus roots decomposing...

I am also almost convinced that the best way forward for the lazy hoobist is with crypts/ferns and co2. It results in lush but very easily managed scapes!

Your circulation is something else though! Do you think that much circulation is really needed? The hillistreamies will no doubt love it though.

I am also almost convinced that the best way forward for the lazy hoobist is with crypts/ferns and co2. It results in lush but very easily managed scapes!

Your circulation is something else though! Do you think that much circulation is really needed? The hillistreamies will no doubt love it though.

Indeed, crypts rock!
I'm sure this much circulation isnt actually needed to have lush crypt growth but to better mimic the biotope in which the danios and hillstream fish normally live then it's got to be good and even then is probably still on the low scale.

You've got a great tank. I'm surprised George Farmer hasn't commented or PFK staff wanting to do an article on this. Lovely videos as well. I wonder if you fish will breed?

You've got a great tank. I'm surprised George Farmer hasn't commented or PFK staff wanting to do an article on this. Lovely videos as well. I wonder if you fish will breed?

Thanks, no word from George or PFK so far... ;)

As for breeding I do believe I've gained a couple of rosy barbs as some seem rather smaller than when I bought them. The barbs have always bred readily in this tank in previous versions but with this amount of flow and so many fast hungry mouths the odds on surviving to adulthood must be pretty slim.

Back