• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scott's boring aquascape aka 'undergrowth'

scottturnbull

This is technically the first aquascape I've ever done. It happened entirely by chance. I was having trouble keeping the tank going without substrate, so ordered some eco-complete, with the intention of growing various plants in pots, like I normally do. But with the tank emptied, and the plants sitting in buckets, I couldn't resist having a little go at this aquascaping business.

DSC00026.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00024.JPG

As you can see, it's pretty unadventurous. Standard fare. The Wisteria was only there to keep balance while I was trying out various other plants. I might get some replacements over Christmas, now that I don't need it.

The plants:
Hygrophila Difformis
Bolbitis Heudeloti - hasn't fully recovered from its poor arrival condition
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
Eleocharis Parvula
Vesicularia Montagnei

The gear:
Rekord 70 Aquarium (60cm x 30cm x 40cm), gutted.
2 x independent TMC Aquabeam Lighting, Marine White.
Eheim 2224
Lunapet CO2
Rhinox 1000 diffuser

Fertilisers:
2ml TPN+ daily
2ml Potassium Carbonate daily - give or take

Re: Scott's boring aquascape

Teehee,I was instantly attracted by the title as I think mine is a bit boring too,by these guys standards anyways (but I love it).Looks good,will look even better when it grows in a bit as you're going to have some good contrasting shapes and greens with the grass,wisteria and moss.
Maybe just from an aesthetic (sp?) point of view,the bolbitis could do with being away from the wisteria (leaf shape is quite similar),once they're growing a bit,move the wisteria more over to the left and have a contrasting shape behind the bolbitis?Broad flat leaf or summat?
Hope that doesn't sound off,as I'm not an experieced aquascaper by any means.

i would never say boring. enthusiastic?...yes!

its a first attempt right? its better than my first attempt!

like goodygumdrops says there's some good contrasting leaf forms and colours.if i could advise, i would suggest learning to grow them well, then put your thinking/aquascaping cap on. on my first tank i'd put plants in different position then they would die and scape is ruined. concentrate on the farming side of things first. of course put taller plants at the back etc etc. its a life time hobby and a year of initial learning will more than pay off IMO. stick at it.

mark

Don't know about boring. Looks nice and lush and very crisp to me. I'm like Saintly, my first scape involved loads of different plants, loads of interference and never any timefor the tank to actually settle.

Looks like you've gone the right route, researched and got everything right equipmentwise first and then gone for something nice and simple to learn on.

Wish I had as I would be a fair bit richer (doubtful as it would've been spent elsewhere :lol:)

Keep it up and stay patient.

AC

Goodygumdrops said:
Hope that doesn't sound off,as I'm not an experieced aquascaper by any means.

Not at all. Any point of view that originates from half-way between Glasgow and Edinburgh deserves serious consideration.

SuperColey1 said:
Looks like you've gone the right route, researched and got everything right equipment wise first and then gone for something nice and simple to learn on.

If that's true - and you'll forgive me if I wait a while before congratulating myself - then it's due in no small part to reading the posts here on ukaps.

Thanks and take care

Scott

Not at all. Any point of view that originates from half-way between Glasgow and Edinburgh deserves serious consideration.

lol :lol:

As said above looks very clean, crisp and well presented ... and don't worry, I'm sure once the bug fully bites your money will start to disappear as fast as the rest of us !! :lol:

I'm experiencing a little die-back with the Eleocharis, producing some fuzz algae. Agitating the stuff seems to help disperse it, hopefully in the direction of the filter inlet.

Excuse the speckly images. I've only got a cheap adapter for my Sony Camcorder. Here's a close up:

Algae%20-%2011.jpg

Algae%20-%2041.jpg

Algae%20-%2018.jpg

Whoever said algae was unsightly.

Edit: maybe Ulothrix sp.

Two days ago I added four Otocinclus, industrious little things. They're making light work of cleaning everything. I'll post some updated pictures soon.

scottturnbull said:
Fertilisers:
2ml TPN+ daily
2ml Potassium Carbonate daily - give or take
Yepp, this is exactly what I did, except with Potassium Sulphate. I would in fact make it a rule for everyone to add additional K along with TPN+ to make things work. TPN+ is low on K.

Some more close-ups of Algae (magnified 1000x):

upload%20-%201.jpg

upload%20-%203.jpg

upload%20-%202.jpg

upload%20-%206.jpg

I don't know what that brown thing is doing.

The algae is super-fine, almost invisible. I have to crouch and squint to see it.

You can see the algae on the Eleocharis Parvula on the right. There isn't a great deal of it. I've tweaked the CO2 levels, which seems to have helped. I'm going to spot treat the remainder with EasyCarbo. (Is it okay to overdose EasyCarbo with moss in the tank?)

up%20-%207.jpg

Otocinclus (Macrospilus?) enjoying the Bolbitis.

up%20-%206.jpg

I bought a replacement Bolbitis last week from AE. It is about 6x as large as the one from AG, and in much better condition.

up%20-%204.jpg

Finally, Vesicularia Montagnei up close.

up%20-%202.jpg

I forgot to add my photoperiod details. The first Aquaray strip - the rear - switches on at 11am. The second switches on at 1pm. At 7pm the rear one switches off. CO2 goes off at 8pm. The remaining Aquaray strip - the front - switches off at 9pm. CO2 comes back on at 10am, an hour before the first light. That's ten hours of light in total, eight hours per LED strip, overlapping for six hours. There's very little light spillage between front and rear LED strips.

Here's an illustration of the light spillage with TMC Aquaray LEDs (for those who are interested):

Sunrise (rear strip only):
uprise%20-%201.jpg

Sunset (front strip only):
uprise%20-%204.jpg

Back