• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sedona - 20L (Liza's Tank - Update)

Re: Liza's 20L Nano Tank

vauxhallmark said:
Good luck with this great tank
Thanks, Mark, and many thanks for the formula. I looked into it and my tap water contains 11,8ppm NO3.
Your calculation now looks like this:

In cell A1 type "11,8"
In cell A2 type "=A1+5.9"
In cell A3 type "=(A2/2)+(11.8/2)+5.9"

Is this how I'm supposed to factor in the tapwater contents for the 50% wc?

After 1 week... (Eleocharis Acicularis is in.)
img0712ok4.jpg

Its looking really nice! Good choice with the Acicularis, I think it has defiantely added something to the scape.

Can't wait to see it when the foreground fills in!

Tom

Cheers, yeah, it will definitely start to take shape as HC fills in.

I'm a little worried about the absence of the pearling at this stage. 25x flow could be one cause, the other being the CO2 level. It is currently 120 bpm and lime green drop checker in a corner with the least flow and CO2. I'm a little afraid of cranking it up some more as higher bubble rate resulted in some fish gasping earlier. It looks like I do not have any choice though (fert levels should be OK, I'm dosing EI). Would be great to have one of the USD 2500 CO2 tests Tom Barr is using, to know for sure. ;)

lowee said:
Good choice with the Acicularis...
Thanks, I wanted to have some hairgrass for a long time.

aaronnorth said:
IMO i think you should remove the front left rock which is against the glass.
Tom said:
...I'd put the front left rock kinda front-mid right if that makes sense :)
No way guys, it stays. Don't touch my front left rock :lol: Seriously though. I will wait for the HC to fill in, and I can always move it later. I like the idea of having something against the glass on the left side, it "unbalances" the composition a bit.

keymaker said:
Don't touch my front left rock :lol: Seriously though. I will wait for the HC to fill in, and I can always move it later. I like the idea of having something against the glass on the left side, it "unbalances" the composition a bit.
:lol:
I agree. I can quickly become too boxed-in in a small tank like that. This seems to strech the scape a bit.
The tank is turning out beautifully, I can't believe these are the same rocks I commented on earlier.

A friend came over with a Nikon camera and some superb macro lens and we took a couple of close-ups of the Rasbora Brigittae.

dsc51422fr5.jpg

dsc51643wz5.jpg

dsc51722jo6.jpg

title: "Lost" :)

Nice! I'm not a huge fan of gumis and rocks, but I love this tank. Looks really natural and unique, well done.

I'm with Thomas above. lol (Not in that way of course :lol:)

Not a huge fan of black rocks, backgrounds, or substrate but I quite like the clean look of this tank.

Nice journal, has been a good read (Just read it from the start for the first time) Keep it updated. Will be watching the progress for sure.

AC

Thanks for the appreciation, Thomas and AC!

I hope to be able to post a completely algae-free full tank shot in a couple of weeks. After redoing the scape earlier I had serious K deficiency problems because of the low levels in TPN+. (Who thought you cannot even trust Tropica with their relative amounts...)

Things look much improved after I started adding additional K2SO4 and the staghorn problem I posted earlier is gone. Switching on the CO2 a lot earlier in the morning seemed to help alot too... So now all I have to do is keep it nice and clean and wait for the diatoms to disappear. Will keep you guys updated.

Until then, I wish a Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all UKAPS readers!
May the force of the Aquascaping Gods guide your path! :)

We visited Vienna to get in the Christmas mood, and what did I come back with? Two pots of Tropica HC and the carnivorous Utricularia Graminifolia. :) The leaves for the Tropica HC is at least twice the size of the ones in my tank. Never seen such big leaves before, I am truly amazed.

And what did I come home to? The luminaire for one of my two 6W T5's - the one lighting the BG is caput. Shops closed, the photon torpedoes will have to operate on 70% for now. :)

img1021ia0.jpg

img1022bt9.jpg

As you can see on the pictures, the Diatoms are still not gone. Not too worried about them though. I had them with all my fresh setups, and they were all gone after a couple of months.

What worries me though is how to clean the rocks. They are so deeply embedded into the substrate that taking them out for cleaning is out of question. I would really like to preserve their original black and white look. Lesson learned here, next time I will put some plastic on the bottom of the tank up to the gravel surface and place the rocks on them. Will make life much easier.

keymaker said:
A friend came over with a Nikon camera and some superb macro lens and we took a couple of close-ups of the Rasbora Brigittae.

dsc51422fr5.jpg

dsc51643wz5.jpg

dsc51722jo6.jpg

title: "Lost" :)

wow! great shots! what lens you used? i plan to get some macro to my EOS450. very nice photos really.
i am glad i found you here too keymaker ;)

your mate,
Viktor

Szia, Viktor. Nice to see another fellow Hungarian aquascaper here. One more step and we'll beat the "Svenska medborgare" in numbers here. Heja Ungern. :)

To answer your questions: I really do not know what kind of macro lens my friend, Nigro had. You'll have to ask him on his blog. You know the way there. :)

Yes, you can get Dennerle plants at Zierfisch, but I bought these at Zoo Exquisit, a small shop near the Vienna Ring.

keymaker said:
Szia, Viktor. Nice to see another fellow Hungarian aquascaper here. One more step and we'll beat the "Svenska medborgare" in numbers here. Heja Ungern. :)

To answer your questions: I really do not know what kind of macro lens my friend, Nigro had. You'll have to ask him on his blog. You know the way there. :)

Yes, you can get Dennerle plants at Zierfisch, but I bought these at Zoo Exquisit, a small shop near the Vienna Ring.

Thanks for the warm words buddy.
Did not know he was Nigro. But will check with him then ;)

Thanks also on the shop info. i know a couple shops in Austria, but this was new to me. Will check them sometime.
Too bad that they did not have any webshop. I order a lot this way. ;)

Just got back from Stockholm... I could not resist to some beautiful Rasbora Maculatus (best I've seen so far -- ever) and brought them home in a thermos on the plane. They now swim happily with the Rasbora Brigittae from Vienna. International crew. :)

I can happily report that after almost a year of continuous efforts and experimenting, the tank is virtually algae-free!!! As Neo says in the Matrix: "I know kung fu". 8)

dsc6376nw0.jpg

dsc63822xx0.jpg

dsc6367yb7.jpg

black2oi7.jpg

Back