• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using Lava Rock as a hardscape...

Ryan Young

Can anyone highlight to me any problems with using Lava Rock as a hardscape in a tank, I know it can be somewhat crumbly and was unsure if this would be a big issue but not sure if there would be any other problems especially if I had plants or moss attached to it?

Thanks

nice, alright might try using it then.
I thought it would be better cause its cheaper and im constantly changing stuff in my tank so wasting a lot of money in the scheme of things

I use it on both my scapes. Recently I was able to source black lava instead of the most common red one. I believe it looks great and it doesn't affect water chemistry.

nice, might give it a go, especially if I could get a black varient

Is hard on belly's/barbels of those fish that scour hard surfaces in search of food (ie) loaches,cory's,pleco's,oto's.
Otherwise is excellent to attach plant's to and I have heard of folk's using it as biomedia in canister's after a fair amount of rinsing.
Without a good rinsing, it can compromise water clarity and I have seen evidence of this on mechanical media when cleaning said media .
Almost like trying to rinse fluorite IMHO
The more you rinse,the more comes loose while waiting for water to clear.IME

Back