• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

500l discus tank

Not much doing...still trying to get light right as I have a dusting of green algae on the substrate.
Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
You can't get rid of green algae but get some bottom dwellers for cleaning. They will be big help. In case you don't want to have more fishes then a VAC from Eheim or Fluval

I can't imagine how your husband moved that - i
It wasn't this tank! This one must weigh more like 600+kg! It was a 190l tank with a very heavy stand that he moved.

Also I still have a lily in the tank although neither are/were tiger lotus. This ones surface leaves stay smaller than the tiger lotus.

Cheers ☺

an I ask where you got your paros from and what are you feeding
I got my original 2 pairs of Paros from Colin Dunlop at the fish hut in Carluke a couple if years ago. If you get onto Facebook friends of parosphromenous you can find uk breeders and know exactly what kind you are getting. Mine eat micro and grindle worm, baby brine shrimp and frozen lobster eggs and some of them will take frozen bloodworm.

Reading too fast... I was admiring the tank & thought the floating plant resembled my nymphoides so. Taiwan - and there was a red version called tiger lotus :-S Sorry, new & learning! You've really done a really great job with a challenging tank :)

Coming on v nicely!
I wouldnt worry about the substrate algae too much, it's only to be expected really. There's no such thing as zero algae it's just a good algae plant balance we're after, just stir the sand regularly or indeed now you can let the loaches and corydoras do that for you.

I didn't like having so little wood so did a little wood shopping....
5ad75efdfd77532f93c31ee02047b2d4.jpg

bbaf58ae9b19c4e48d11bbbc1587519b.jpg

25c37189aa88bf9ddabd920fccd0cd2c.jpg

96a3acdd542853b0f2c5be7335f6ac4b.jpg

Got it soaking as I type...
The substrate algae has much reduced since reducing the lighting intensity by 15%.
After trying to get more chocolate gourami for the last 2 yrs I've given up. I now have a slightly different fish shopping list, some of which are at Colin Dunlops already. Won't say what until I have them but I had to take the Chocolate gourami out of the big tank and will try to catch as many of the Betta channoides and liquorice gourami as I can. Not so easy when they have so much rock work to hide in

Hurrah for the wood :D

After trying to get more chocolate gourami for the last 2 yrs I've given up

Seems that "chocolate" gouramis are just finally beginning to ship again ... even Aq Glaser only recently listed S vaillanti

I sort of "got lucky" - one shop that been ordering S. osphromenoides weekly since Dec had a group arrive, I scooped some the next day (they were too stressed for me to feel comfortable about selecting individual fish). Another local wholesaler also had a shipment arrive.
2 weeks later I've only had 3 actual losses but the entire group is sick - they've been eating so are in much better shape than upon arrival (paper thin :eek:)
- but they've been battling that crazy med-resistant ich :(

I now have a slightly different fish shopping list, some of which are at Colin Dunlops already
very excited to see what's coming :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:

The wood is still a little floaty but nothing a couple of rocks can't sort temporarily. Much of the wood has 3 different varieties of anubias and 3 different varieties of buce. Looks much better to me.
e736d0d4f47f8144f75c80f1b06de5cd.jpg

that i really like adding extra wood make a big difference. i would maybe add some more single wood to the left or add some taller plants like what you did with the right side. other than that awesome so far keep up the good work. can't wait to see the new fish. ps they are also on my fish list

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Thanks Ryan, there is a large variety of anubias on the left that should fill the gap and also some aponogeton crispus that has been very slow to get going. I didn't put crypt balansae as the flow goes from right to left and I didn't want the balansae getting blown down to the left against the glass. This is going to be a slow burner lol.. The wood on the left is the floaty stuff so it isn't in its final position either but wanted to get the plants tied on and growing. After giving up on them Colin Dunlop finally managed to get me some chocos so will be adding around 20 in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Ryan, there is a large variety of anubias on the left that should fill the gap and also some aponogeton crispus that has vein very slow to get going. This is going to be a slow burner lol.. The wood on the left is the floaty stuff so it isn't in its final position either but wanted to get the plants tied on and growing. After giving up on them Colin Dunlop finally managed to get me some chocos so will be adding around 20 in a couple of weeks.

that one 20 that going to be amazing. how much are they selling for?

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Colin generally doesn't charge me retail prices. Kesgrave Tropicals had quoted £6 each for chocos.

The added wood has made a real difference, looking good:) . seems the price of s.osphromenoides has come down somewhat , i got a group of six a couple of months ago for £20.00 . lovely little fish:) looking forward to seeing pictures of yours once settled in the new tank.

Kesgraves price was what they quoted me a few weeks ago.

I added 20 tiny little chocolate gourami on friday after acclimatising for 4 hrs. They settled in really quickly, swimming all round the tank. The video was taken on friday night. They have continued to colour up beautifully. I am so chuffed :happy:
I had to take the adult gourami out as they were set on trying to kill the flock of tiny stripey babies that were keen to follow them around. Once the babies have grown I'll put the adults back in. The tank is not this bright, the phone lightened it considerably.

Back