• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello with some questions

Hooky

So I have kept tropical & Marine fish for a number of years on and off and have now decided I want to have a go at a low tech natural looking community tank. I am planning to set up a low tech planted Roma 125, and came across the following picture for some inspiration http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/hagen-trade-exhibition-2011.17534/ which leads me to some questions that I would be grateful if some of you could help me out with:
1. I would like to know if any of you are able to help with the plant identification in the above link and which ones would be suitable for low tech tank
2. Also from the picture it doesn’t look like any special planting substrate was used, so my question is in a low tech tank with similar substrate and gravel would I be able to achieve a similar scape with no C02 or ferts.
3. I would prefer to use black gravel / sand but would this make it look less natural
4. What colour form of rock should be used with black substrate
Thanks in advance

Hi Hooky. I'm not good at plant id but http://tropica.com/en/plants/ is a good place to start. The easy selection should be ideal for a low tech tank. People have used plain sand or gravel before, but if your budget allows, it would help to have a little layer of plant substrate under the gravel. As for ferts, it would again help even in a low tech tank. I'm not much help, but I'm sure someone with more experience will come along soon.
Ps welcome to the forum!

Thanks Dave

I have been looking at the following plants Eleocharis parvula / Microsorum pteropus narrow / Vallisneria spiralis 'Tiger' / Sagittaria subulata and spiky moss, is this a good mix of easy beginners plants? I would also like to have some form of floating plant but not sure which would best suit.

Hi there Hooky & welcome! Relatively new to this also, so don't want to point you in the wrong direction :)

The tutorials sections is useful in ukaps & there's a useful article on choosing soil/dirt substrates by Troi. It helps explain the benefits of using a substrate and hopefully you can make a more informed decision as to whether you want to use it or not.

In ukaps.org home theres a good article on aquascaping styles by George Farmer - it explains the general aquascaping styles and give you a better idea on perhaps what you want to achieve :)

It can be a bit daunting, starting a planted tank but folks here are very helpful!

All the plants you listed should do well in a low tech although if you have very soft water vallisneria might not grow so well (I do & have really struggled) Good luck :)

That looks like a great selection to start with! The only floating plant that I know of is the frogbit which needs moderate lighting, so I've read. Just keep in mind if you have low lighting, you don't want to block out to much with floating plants.

Eleocharis parvula / Microsorum pteropus narrow / Vallisneria spiralis 'Tiger' / Sagittaria subulata and spiky moss, is this a good mix of easy beginners plants? I would also like to have some form of floating plant but not sure which would best suit.

Given these specs on the Roma 125 you might consider upgrading the lighting to T5 (ie unless you've the kit already look for the Juwel version with T5 lighting included ... one day Hagen/Fluval will run out of their stock of Glo tubes ;) ) - with the higher light at substrate level your E parvula & S subulata will remain (usually) shorter

Although these are all "Easy" plants, they will nonetheless prefer some substrate nutrients so I'd suggest including Tropica Growth Substrate layered beneath sand/fine gravel - once established these plants will invade even large gravel areas but during initial growth/transition most plants prefer finer substrates (I suspect this has to do with the localized microenvironment established around developing roots)

I suggest thoroughly investigating Tropica's website, they have a lot of great information that is presented very clearly (& succinctly) through word, photo & video ...
like ADA follow their "rules" for a successful planted tank, & that's pretty much what you will get (they are just a lot less complicated than ADA)
Tropica's 90 Day App is a well worth following.

Once you've got your first tank through it's first successfully grown in scape, then start playing with EI & other methodologies (if that's your inclination)

2. Also from the picture it doesn’t look like any special planting substrate was used, so my question is in a low tech tank with similar substrate and gravel would I be able to achieve a similar scape with no C02 or ferts.
Don't lose sight of the fact that these are Trade Exhibition Display Tanks, nothing has been grown in or is necessarily set up for this (some display booths such as Tropica & Juwel transport scapes that have been grown in for the Exhibitions, but as you may imagine this is a much more costly/complicated endeavour)

Plants must have means of life - in order to produce new leaf, stem, root, some sort of carbon source is needed (it's the "backbone of life") as well as various macro & micro (trace) nutrients.
Tropica makes this easy by supplying substrate ("Growth Substrate" & now "Aquarium Soil" - you can just choose one), fertilizers & CO2 options
If you have more nutrient rich tap water, it's often possible to have slow growth without adding additional fertilizers (especially if there's a nutrient rich substrate - BUT this needs to be a balanced for aquarium life substrate, toss in a bunch of garden dirt/compost etc & you'll likely end up with a mix that is far too rich/excessive & algae soup is rather likely ... if you're keen on home sourced products, take the time to thoroughly research dirted tanks ... companies such as Tropica have spent considerable funds on the Research & Development & science of growing aquarium plants)

3. I would prefer to use black gravel / sand but would this make it look less natural
4. What colour form of rock should be used with black substrate
Most fish prefer dark substrates but there are very few natural "black" substrates (most look too glittery or dyed)
If you want a more natural look, then try to match rock colors with substrate ... OTOH a nice algae covering on rocks can soon obscure a lot of rock texture/color
There are many tanks set up with contrasting rock & substrate color/texture, once tank is grown in this seems to all come together :)

(note local shop has loads of Hagen "display" tanks but they are all supported & designed by the shop, not Hagen ... this year Hagen has finally upgraded the lighting in the Spec line of tanks so that planted scapes as shown on the displays & boxes are finally doable without modifying the stock lighting ... of course, there's also been a significant price increase as well ;) )

with no C02
There is CO2 in air which naturally diffuses into the tank water column, also CO2 from fishes
Most "Easy" plants in Tropica's categories do fine with "low" CO2 BUT there are some that may require/prefer "moderate" CO2 - researching your plant choices for light, CO2, temperature, pH, water hardness will help ensure success

Salvinia Natans is a lovely floating plant. It's more delicate than frogbit. It didn't cope well with my HO Led's, and would probably fair better in a lower tech set up.

Thanks for the replies so far these are much appreciated. I do have some more questions particularly around substrate. If I was to use Tropica soil is it best to cap with sand or fine gravel, and does this need separating in any way or just added ontop? And would I get the same results if I use pond soil as a cheaper alternative to the tropica soil. Lastly going back to the stock lighting would this still need upgrading with the use of a decent planting substrate with the plants I plan to use?

If I was to use Tropica soil is it best to cap with sand or fine gravel
It's the Growth Substrate that was developed as a base layer (note the embedded links)

It you watch the Tropica layout videos you can decided which sort of gravel/sand you prefer

And would I get the same results if I use pond soil as a cheaper alternative to the tropica soil.
this is nothing like Tropica Aquarium soil in texture - acts much like coarse sand/fine gravel re remains as distinct particles in the tank, I suspect that pond soil turns into mud + zeolite (or whatever other particles are included in the makeup) ... most ponds are not much like aquariums in their running & maintenance ... but if you're keen to be experimental, go for it ...
(just do the "dirted" tank research as this is a much better analogy I suspect)

Lastly going back to the stock lighting would this still need upgrading with the use of a decent planting substrate with the plants I plan to use?
The issue I alluded to with lighting has nothing to do with which substrate you might use, but PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) levels ie useable light at the level of the planted stems etc

If you already have the Roma 125, then make sure the reflectors are top notch, & use high T8 bulbs that are optimized for plant growth re highest possible intensity & most useable spectrum

So with the stock lighting and decent substrate I would be unable to run a low tech system with blow light plants? Are there any cheap alternative bulbs not designed for aquarium that would be worth using ? Apologies for all the questions

So with the stock lighting and decent substrate
Sounds as if you've the Roma 125 already ... depending on how filter is placed in the tank, just lower the water level while establishing the plants (first weeks to couple months depending on growth rate & whether you go with Tissue Culture vs pot plants) as this will significantly increase PAR if water column is 35cm vs 45cm

Once plants are all growing well & have transitioned from emerse to submerse leaf, begin increasing the water level to full height (I'd do 5cm every two weeks)
Note that for Microsorum pteropus narrow, you may not see much change (initially) but this plant will likely be fine in even dim lighting, just growth will be slower (it can also get golden & red hues under higher lighting)

(note I'm assuming tank dimension are 80cm x 35cm x 45cm (height))

Aquarium tubes are made under label by general manufacturers of lighting, there's a list somewhere of manufacturer labeled tubes (eg Osram etc) that are great in aquaria

As an example compare technical data on Osram
Natura T8 18w (750 lumen flux)
Lumilux Chip T8 18w (970 lumen flux)
Color Proof T8 18w (900 lumen flux) but is now a "daylight" tube with 5300 Kelvin (will still look a bit yellow for my taste, I prefer 6500 K but much nicer than the higher lumen Luminex Chip which is designated as "yellow" color light)
etc

Lumilux De Luxe T8 18W/954 (1150 lumen flux) CRI >90, "daylight", 5400K
- now you have HOT5 energy in a T8 lamp & PAR is no longer a concern :D

Except I have no idea which T8 length actually fits in the Roma 125 as Fluval "Tech Specs" are .... hmmmm .... lacking :rolleyes:

Back