• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Two Rocks Balanced - 64L - Low tech

In your Mar 28 post, L hippuridoides is looking a bit pale, possibly adjust nutrients/ferts ... overall tank looks very fine! :D

Sorry for the delay :sorry:
- I'm thinking that leafs look pale even for low light etc, you might try squirting some dilute fert (sorry can't recall what you're using) in the region of L hip, you might also add root tabs, but I feel water column nutrition is more relevant to this plant than some others (I could be wrong :p)

Sorry for the delay :sorry:
- I'm thinking that leafs look pale even for low light etc, you might try squirting some dilute fert (sorry can't recall what you're using) in the region of L hip, you might also add root tabs, but I feel water column nutrition is more relevant to this plant than some others (I could be wrong :p)
Thanks for the tips.
I'll add some ferts during the week, and see if they have some effect.

Last edited:
As promised in the April 9 post the Ludwigia Repens needed to be cut back. Here is how that cutting evolved.
On April 12-th it was chopped in half, with the top section planted on the left side. Then, 2 days later two new side shoots appeared.
Now 2 weeks later the two side shoots have reached the water level, and so has the nearby former-top-section too... nearly. Enjoy the pictures.
I think the diligent dosing of 2ml EasyCarbo is behind it, plus adding some macro fertilizer (2-3 times, the former amount) as @alto noted that my L hippuridoides looked somewhat pale

Apr 12:
25780740403_2f07033785_z.jpg

26383474075_ca00d5a612_z.jpg

Apr 14:
26420242605_5417296b11_z.jpg

Apr 26:
26057422113_8706c5f359_b.jpg

I still love taking shots of the top of this nice plant
26055998864_782140d514_b.jpg

Alex, thanks for the compliment. Why do you find it tricky? I have absolutely no problems with it, and it gets no special treatment.

Well, yes, it is quite hardy plant, it can tolerate low light, as I see in your case it's in shade, but you won't get the best color. To get the best from it - you need strong light and preferably some root tabs ferts, so this crypt will start to develop bright red color on new leaves. But in the same time it tends to loose older leaves very quickly, it does not like mechanical damage on leaves. And I found that mother plant I've got couple of years ago (original sp. Flamingo in-vitro culture from Dennerle) the mother plant grows great all this time. But daugther plants are quite weak in my case, have no clear idea what's wrong, they grow much slower and quicker lose leaves, some of daughter plants can't develop full mature form after year of growing alone. I suspect one should not detach plantlets until they mature, which is not true for other types of crypts.

So, in general - original in-vitro plants are quite hardy, but next generation is quite tricky (for me). That could be very good plant for Dennerle - to sell more in-vitro plants if there are problems to get proper descendants.

Last edited:
Tank is looking great :cool:

I agree with above, it's be great to see present tank detail re photoperiod & water changes etc
:)

Is there a ram duo or just the girl?

So, in general - original in-vitro plants are quite hardy, but next generation is quite tricky (for me). That could be very good plant for Dennerle - to sell more in-vitro plants if there are problems to get proper descendants.
this isn't Dennerle ... it's quite typical for some plant lines to be less stable than others :)

:sorry: for my lack of clarity - I don't mean that your plant is not from Dennerle
but that Dennerle has likely not "planned" for the plant species to not be a stable mutation or cross (I've no idea on the details of C sp. Flamingo)

Tank is looking great :cool:
I agree with above, it's be great to see present tank detail re photoperiod & water changes etc:)
Is there a ram duo or just the girl?

Hi Alto,
  • Photoperiod is: 1 single Giesemann 24W T5 Powerchrome Midday 6000K at 2 intervals during the day: 7am-10am, 4pm -9pm (using a 'siesta')
  • Water changes: sometime between 1 or 2 weeks, as I have time. About a 20 litre bucket's worth of water changed, using about a 1/4 cap of Seachem Prime
  • I also use an air pump (Tetra Tec APS 100) - this really helps break up the scum on the water surface overnight, so I wake up to a clean tank in the morning - 3 hours from 10pm, then 2,5 hours from 3am
  • The ram is a alone in the tank. The other one jumped out.
Still looking great! What is your fert regime nowadays?
Fert regime is a locally sold 'Micro' and 'Macro' local fertilizer. I use 2ml of each right after the water change ... and maybe 1ml after 1 week if I am late with my water change regime.

@Alexander Belchenko My Flamingo is a Dennerle I think. I planted it last September (journal entry here).

Last edited:
Back