• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish identification please...

Madhav

Hi,
can anybody tell me which one is male and which one is female?
excuse me about the picture clarity, hand phone pictures. see if the video helps in finding.
thanks
1:
f3qakcV.jpg

2:
vCsjZMr.jpg

3:
55vBsOG.jpg

As you say not the best pictures:D but one good way of sexing rams is to look at the black midline blotch, in females there will be small blue scales,inside the blotch these are absent in the males, so that the blotch appears solid black ,also the dorsal fin on the female is a more rounded shape , the females also have a black line on the leading edge of the ventral fins which is very less defined in the males hope this helps:)

Last edited:
As you say not the best pictures:D but one good way of sexing rams is to look at the black midline blotch, in females there will be small blue scales,inside the blotch these are absent in the males, so that the blotch appears solid black ,also the dorsal fin on the female is a more rounded shape , the females also have a black line on the leading edge of the ventral fins which is very less defined in the males hope this helps:)
Hi Alex thanks,
1: doesnt have that black blotch at all, pink belly

2: have black blotch with blue spots inside, pink belly

3:full black blotch, the belly is not very pink like other two.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

As you may guess some inventive breeding practise has led to the development of these "balloon" rams
(given the new orientation of the fish internal organs (& subsequent health issues) I'd dead against these sorts of fish :( - take care in feeding & husbandry)

"Holland" breed line produced the "red" ram - even the males show good belly coloration & more red overall (note that some wild populations also show extended red)
"Gold" rams typically show pale belly markings except when females are in good condition
"Blue" rams - wild type coloration observed in most wild catch, the blue spangling in that black spot is best indication of female/male
"Electric Blue/Neon Blue" - these sell under a variety of names & color/quality is quite variable (once "Gold" mixes in, color pales & variation in color diminishes), again these are difficult to sex

Shape becomes a good determinant of sex when that blue/black coloration is lost
BUT with the advent of the balloon rams (& now subsequent creep into even "regular" lines), shape is variable
(there's an excellent page (with photo) that summarizes sexing the color morphs but can't find it quickly :oops: - it has been linked here in previous Ram Sexing Discussions)

So just keep watching your trio & see what happens ;)

Note the extended dorsal is more common in males, but females may also show outstanding finnage ... & of course the long fin mutation has also crept into general population ... it's very difficult to find "pure" line rams these days

Back