• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI dosing for 14,500 litre aquarium!

Seachem products as needed (Flourish, Flourish Trace & Potassium
Also look at their AquaVitro line - I believe the solutions are somewhat more concentrated than the Flourish line
You might also contact Seachem direct & see if they have versions available to large public aquaria etc, eg, 5 litre bottles of more concentrated solutions
Tropica & other companies may also be able to offer suitable fertilizers

I realise you're likely running nutrients leaner than upper ranges of EI, but thought it'd be fun to work out an EI dose using premixed fertilisers for 14500L.

From Rotalabutterfly nutrient calculator, showing full EI dose for Seachem Nitrogen as an example:

To reach your target of 7.5ppm NO3 you will need to add 1.65 Liter Flourish Nitrogen to your 14500L aquarium to yield:

Element ppm/degree
N 1.7
NO3 7.5
K2O 2.27
K 1.89

Haha 1.65L of Seachem Nitrogen per dose, 3-4x per week = 6.6L per week!

Dry salts FTW!

Otherwise you should actually buy Seachem; the company itself. :)

Amazing project! What's the par readings at the substrate with those lights? Which lights are they?

Thanks for all the comments. Think I will need to consider pros and cons of dry salts vs liquids a little more.

I will likely have to climb into the tank to keep some of the plants in check I think. No tools available long enough. I've studied the Amano maintenance YouTube videos for Lisbon and Singapore though, which are around 1.4 metres deep. Seems ADA have to improvise their tools too. I'm going with Tropica Aquasoil for the rear, and Tropica Aquasoil powder for the front to help root the smaller plants. Any experience on how this compares to ADA Amazonia? Seems Tropica have copied ADA pretty closely. It even says made in Japan on the packaging!

I've also set up a nursery to get some of the plants off to a good start. Just the species that will grow well emmersed. Will try to post some pics of it soon.

The lighting
Dry salts FTW!

Otherwise you should actually buy Seachem; the company itself. :)

Amazing project! What's the par readings at the substrate with those lights? Which lights are they?

The lighting is presently 28 x Hydra HD's! Will be doing the PAR testing once it has been temporarily filled with water to check for leaks/floating tree trunks.

You can change the Kelvin output on these lights pretty accurately, although most often used on marine tanks. I have space for another row if needed. We'll see.

Great gadgets to play with. Can be controlled wirelessly by iPhone.

I realise you're likely running nutrients leaner than upper ranges of EI, but thought it'd be fun to work out an EI dose using premixed fertilisers for 14500L.

From Rotalabutterfly nutrient calculator, showing full EI dose for Seachem Nitrogen as an example:

To reach your target of 7.5ppm NO3 you will need to add 1.65 Liter Flourish Nitrogen to your 14500L aquarium to yield:

Element ppm/degree
N 1.7
NO3 7.5
K2O 2.27
K 1.89

Haha 1.65L of Seachem Nitrogen per dose, 3-4x per week = 6.6L per week!

Wow! the nitrate levels in the local water supply are around 15ppm already, so hopefully will get away with a little less.

Will likely be doing 3,000 litre water changes each week, but can do more if needed.

Also look at their AquaVitro line - I believe the solutions are somewhat more concentrated than the Flourish line
You might also contact Seachem direct & see if they have versions available to large public aquaria etc, eg, 5 litre bottles of more concentrated solutions
Tropica & other companies may also be able to offer suitable fertilizers

Thanks for this. Will look into their Aquavitro line and drop Seachem a line.

Back