• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Back from the dark side, nano time.

NorthernDan

Hey guys. After being away in the salty side for the past few years I'm returning to a small planted aquarium. Just something really simple. I have my heart set on a Supafish Home 25 and I'm hoping to create a simple Iwagumi style.

A few years ago I had a 400l planted Discus aquarium which I loved but unfortunately I had to downsize (which led me to the salty side) so I'm not a complete numpty (hopefully) and I'm excited to see whats changed in the few years I've been away.

I'm hoping to get away without co2 however I haven't ruled it out as I know a large portion of carpet plants need it. I know the standard lighting on the tank isn't the best but I have watched a few of George Farmers videos which hes done a few with the supafish set ups and they seem capable of growing most things.

Cheers, and any input to plant/fish selection would be great!

Hi and welcome...a low-energy iwagumi now there's a challenge. Personally, I'd be reaching for the CO2 before anything else, but I guess it's not impossible.
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/low-tech-lawns.32597/#post-346117
As for fish, any species that is very small, like microrasboras, or preferably just shrimp.
Also try the Tutorial section for more info on low-maintenance and low-energy/soil substrate scapes.

Thanks Tim, while searching around for various plants I came across Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' on aqua essentials. It mentions it takes to liquid co2 ok so I was thinking about a Tropica aquarium soil base with liquid co2 and ferts.

I've no experience with liquid carbon and lawns. But from what I've read for optimal compact growth Monte Carlo still requires injected CO2.
I'd always recommend a fire extinguisher type setup with a dual stage regulator.
Despite the initial outlay it still pretty much works out the cheapest in the long term.
Although, I guess a sodastream system would be economical for a small tank, sold by our sponsors, for example http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...get-sodastream-system-for-aquarium-up-to-120l

I've no experience with liquid carbon and lawns. But from what I've read for optimal compact growth Monte Carlo still requires injected CO2.
I'd always recommend a fire extinguisher type setup with a dual stage regulator.
Despite the initial outlay it still pretty much works out the cheapest in the long term.
Although, I guess a sodastream system would be economical for a small tank, sold by our sponsors, for example http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...get-sodastream-system-for-aquarium-up-to-120l

Thanks, that looks a slightly more affordable option although still quite a bit of money. I'll have to do a little more investigation on lawns with liquid co2.

But from what I've read for optimal compact growth Monte Carlo still requires injected CO2
Its growing quite happily in my cube with only liquid carbon. I'm hoping that I'll be able to wean it off co2 all together and run the tank as a low tech.
Ps Hello and welcome Dan

So it is...;)
This it Andy?
Cube%2031.7.16crop_zps50zlx8uq.jpg

Its growing quite happily in my cube with only liquid carbon. I'm hoping that I'll be able to wean it off co2 all together and run the tank as a low tech.
Ps Hello and welcome Dan

Thanks and that's good to hear as liquid carbon would certainly be a less hassle option. The tank looks great.

I believe the standard lighting in the Superfish aquariums is relatively low so hopefully should work out just fine.

OK it's a given that Monte Carlo carpet can be grown using LC:p
Personally tho', I'd still be reaching for the CO2, especially for an iwagumi.
The key to success is often high plant biomass from the beginning, which is relatively easy to achieve if a lot of other plants, like tall stems etc, are also being used.
It's probably got something to do with mutual shading, greater absorption of organics, and the much maligned alleleopathy.
That's not necessarily the case with an iwagumi which even when fully grown in still has a relatively low plant biomass.
Consequently, it can become a bit of a rough ride getting it established with algae infestation and melt both taking their toll.

P.S. I guess, what I'm saying is I think CO2 will make it easier to achieve good results, which when you're just starting out is perhaps a safer option for an iwagumi;)

Last edited:
Yep length of time it will take to carpet low-energy can be a bugbear.
DSM is an option, but sometimes the plants don't transition well and melt can set in.
It can help to use DSM, and after flooding LC and/or CO2 until the lawn becomes establish.
Then if you're determined to go low-energy tapper to zero over a period of 2-4 weeks a la the Barr Report - Hybrid methods, fusing dry start + Excel with non CO2.
But for an iwagumi I'd still favour CO2.

Last edited:
Appreciate the responses chaps. I must clarify when I say Iwagumi I'm meaning more loosely based. In 25 liters there won't be much space to play with, I imagine something along the lines of the picture below with the focus on the rock and 1 slightly larger plant species then the monte carlo. On another note, can any of you suggest a few species that would compliment monte carlo as well as being suitable for liquid co2? Something that would make the illusion of a miniature world in a smaller aquarium.

Back