• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted aquarium in rented property...

I've rented for the past 3 years, i've never had a problem keeping aquariums even though both properties i've been in have had a no pets rule. They're generally considered ornaments/furniture rather than pets by most estate agents. Never covered them up, whenever the agent came round they always commented that we had nice fish tanks.

I also had an aquarium crack and drop 60 litres onto the floor but it didn't cause any lasting damage. This only broke because i put it on top of an IKEA cabinet that bowed under the weight.

I signed the renewal just a few days ago... that was when I remembered to ask about it... lol
Even if they go back with the renewal now or don't renew next year, there's a baby human on the way and I'll need a bigger place anyway! :dummy:

Congratulations ☺ ...baby humans tend to be messier than fish anyway... haha! ( Although it maybe I have just been particularly unlucky with my baby humans...!)

Having lived the passive aggressive landlord experience for a year - which was exactly 364 days too long - MOVE!

It's unending
It's creative in ways that I would never have thought possible
I finally requested in writing (legal requirement) that the LL not enter my area of the shared front entrance (& certainly not enter my private backdoor entrance)
- my door mat was removed & changed out :wideyed: as the color was not quite what the LL would've chosen (I insisted upon its return)
- my flower containers were requested (in writing) to be removed as the flowers were not white (I refrained from changing out the blues & oranges)
- my curtains were not a suitable beige (I politely turned down the LL's offer of more suitable curtaining)
- my kid had (discrete) removable stickers on the window (this was placing my child in jeopardy as it could be guessed from the street which upper level room belonged to a child - we expanded the sticker arrangement :twisted: ) ... my kid was also not to run in the house, or play a musical instrument or ... you begin to get the idea I think

(it was essentially a semi detached with LL family on the other side - unfortunately the garden lacked a separating wall of any sort)

The LL had pretended to quiet, slightly anal calm upon viewing & signing the lease.

Look into your tenant rights & decide where you want to go with this situation ... arguably such a small tank will release less water than other common house appliances & bath fittings.

just hoping my landlord allows me to have one!
it may be requested that your child not make any audible sounds after/during certain hours ...

Having lived the passive aggressive landlord experience for a year - which was exactly 364 days too long - MOVE!

It's unending
It's creative in ways that I would never have thought possible
I finally requested in writing (legal requirement) that the LL not enter my area of the shared front entrance (& certainly not enter my private backdoor entrance)
- my door mat was removed & changed out :wideyed: as the color was not quite what the LL would've chosen (I insisted upon its return)
- my flower containers were requested (in writing) to be removed as the flowers were not white (I refrained from changing out the blues & oranges)
- my curtains were not a suitable beige (I politely turned down the LL's offer of more suitable curtaining)
- my kid had (discrete) removable stickers on the window (this was placing my child in jeopardy as it could be guessed from the street which upper level room belonged to a child - we expanded the sticker arrangement :twisted: ) ... my kid was also not to run in the house, or play a musical instrument or ... you begin to get the idea I think

(it was essentially a semi detached with LL family on the other side - unfortunately the garden lacked a separating wall of any sort)

The LL had pretended to quiet, slightly anal calm upon viewing & signing the lease.

Look into your tenant rights & decide where you want to go with this situation ... arguably such a small tank will release less water than other common house appliances & bath fittings.

it may be requested that your child not make any audible sounds after/during certain hours ...

That sounds allot like my aunt's OCD... :lol:

Well... it's been almost 2 years and I haven't had a single thing to complain about until now. And I'm renting through an agency that manages everything, so I've never even seen the landlord.

I would never rent a property knowing that the landlord or his/her family lived nearby... It's one of the first things I ask when visiting the properties for the first time! My contract states they can never visit without a written notice made at least 24 hours in advance.

You can ask your agent for a direct contact number fir the home owner. Ask the owner directly?

This is your legal right as a tennant by the way.

Whenever I've rented it's been a bit of a mare too:eek:...except for one instance when the old dear landlady couldn't do enough for us, she was great:)

In one case we rented whilst waiting for our house to be built...anyway it got to loggerheads with the agency and landlord when we refused them access to allow future tenants to invade our privacy to view the property.

They were not amused...we in turn felt violated:confused:

They threatened me with all sorts of court actions, but I reminded them of the right to "quiet enjoyment" of the property and there wasn't a thing they could do about it, especially as it was winter and the blessed boiler was on the blink leaving us without heating and hot water for extended periods...bar stewards:mad:

I subscribe to the philosophy that an Englishman's home is his castle...and as far as I'm concerned that analogy extends to all nationalities as well, just in case your wondering:p

This agency also tried to steal our deposit on the grounds that 2 weeks after we had left there was dust on the skirting board...I wished them good luck and referred them to the company lawyers of the multi-national company who had stumped up the deposit cash and who were paying the rent.

The deposit was refunded the next day...double bar stewards:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Whenever I've rented it's been a bit of a mare too:eek:...except for one instance when the old dear landlady couldn't do enough for us, she was great:)

In one case we rented whilst waiting for our house to be built...anyway it got to loggerheads with the agency and landlord when we refused them access to allow future tenants to invade our privacy to view the property.

They were not amused...we in turn felt violated:confused:

They threatened me with all sorts of court actions, but I reminded them of the right to "quiet enjoyment" of the property and there wasn't a thing they could do about it, especially as it was winter and the blessed boiler was on the blink leaving us without heating and hot water for extended periods...bar stewards:mad:

I subscribe to the philosophy that an Englishman's home is his castle...and as far as I'm concerned that analogy extends to all nationalities as well, just in case your wondering:p

This agency also tried to steal our deposit on the grounds that 2 weeks after we had left there was dust on the skirting board...I wished them good luck and referred them to the company lawyers of the multi-national company who had stumped up the deposit cash and who were paying the rent.

The deposit was refunded the next day...double bar stewards:rolleyes:

I thought deposits were kept by a third party?

They did, but that didn't stop them from trying it on...if they think they can bully tenants into giving up the deposit, they often will.
I've even heard of landlords ignoring the law and simply pocketing the deposit:eek:

I had a similar experience before the so called protection scheme, when I was a student. I had to threaten the agency with legal action to get my deposit back...

It used to be accepted, almost as a matter of course, that you'd loose your deposit due to the spurious nonsense of ongoing repairs and wear and tear incurred during your occupancy; of course that's not what a deposit was for...but often tenants had no recourse.

My unfortunate opinion, is that most landlords are unscrupulous bar stewards, even today and with the so called checks and measures that are in place due to recent legislation...

Just leave the tank make sure everything is pristine for your 6 month check,have it looking great on the day probably nothing will be said. Its little known tenants have huge rights in disputes get to know local councillor beforehand

If you are not going to have livestock, just drain it 90% on the day of inspection.

So, last Thursday I got contents insurance to cover me in case something bad happens and then started to set the aquarium up and put everything running.
On Friday I got all the plants delivered (you can see my beginner journal here) and today... today I got a visit from the agency.

I made sure the aquarium lights were on so I could get a reaction... :twisted: As soon as she entered the living room, I noticed her looking to the aquarium, but there was not a single word about it!

So I'm quite happy now... let's wait and see if there is some kind of report about it.

Back