• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diatoms or some or kind of algae?

Planted Bows

Hi all

I'm posting again as I'm seeing more nd more of this brown algae everyday!

I do inject Co2 and dose iron (3 ml a week) profito (3ml a week) and Co2 luquid (1ml a day)

I have the 30litre aquael shrimp tank set.

My lighting (11w florescent tube) comes on at 3pm and goes off at 10:30pm
Co2 comes on 2 pm and goes off at 9pm.
My drop checker is always light green.

Any ideas of what's causing this?
Picture below.

b28b9d8d03330631fd07f7ee6716941f.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention that the tank has been setup between 1 to 2 months now

New tanks will usually go through phases where one type of algae will seem to take over. In my case it was filamentous brown diatoms, which I understand is very common. Yours looks like the non-filamentous type of diatom.

So don't worry too much at this stage - chances are the tank will mature and the problem will go away. In the meantime, I'd reduce the lighting period to about 5 hours and increase the frequency of water changes - do them twice as frequently for a while.

What livestock do you have in there? I successfully keep 3 otos in my 25 litre nano tank; they're active and have rounded stomachs and generally seem happy. They did a good job of controlling my algae outbreak.

I have a male fighter and 5 galaxy rasboras. I'll reduce my lighting right the way :) thank you for the advice

This looks like diatoms. Easy to wipe and tasty for a lot of creatures - fish and snails. Will go on its own once your tank matures.

A slightly risky way to get rid of this is to increase your light. But you will need to increase your co2 and ferts to match.

I can't increase the Co2 anymore due to the DC being nearly yellow towards the end of the time cycle. I've increased my iron/profito/liquid carbon to 1ml a day to see if that sorts the issue out. I cant wait to get this balance.

Back