• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

After the riffle

Plants received Friday evening. Plants in.

Inexperience really beginning to show.

Very rough image. Internal filter and heater will be removed when fish move in. Glass inlets on order. May replace with two green spray bars, for now.

I'm going to move the Anubias around, try and move them into shadow, to the left and right of the bottom arch.

I'd love to trim the Rotala and Lindernia, but feel I shouldn't for a couple of weeks. Aiming for a curve from rock down to right hand side.

JustPlanted.jpe

Very much appreciate people's opinions about liquid carbon. Currently double dosing. Now think I must go CO2.

Final plant list:

Foreground / Right hand side
Eleocharis Acicularis Mini (1-2 Grow) X 2
Marsilea Crenata (1-2 Grow) X 1
Glossostigma X 1

Mid ground / Between small driftwood
Ranunculus Inundatus X 2
Lileopsis Mauritania X 2

Background
Rotala Green X 2 (right side - left)
Lindernia Rotundifolia X 2 (right side - middle)
Bacopa Carolinea X 1 (right side - right)

Cryptocoryne Crispatula X 1 (far left) with some Lileopsis Mauritania

On driftwood
Vesicularia Dubyana Christmas moss (1-2 Grow) X 1
Vesicularia Ferriei 'Weeping' moss X 1
Microsorum Pteporus Narrow X 1
Anubias Petite

Two weeks in and inexperience really starting to show! Would very much appreciate people's thoughts:
- carpet plants melting
- diatom outbreak
- hair algae outbreak
- snail invasion

However, the Lindernia, Ranunculus and Rotala (green) is beginning to grow. Rotala getting underwater narrow leaves. Crypt Balansae, Bacopa and Lileopsis are hanging in.

I'm dosing 5ml of Easycarbo (recommended dosing 3 to 6ml) and about 1.2ml of TNC (recommended dosage 2ml - using an old Tropica fertiliser bottle) per day.

I have set the photoperiod to 5 hours (45 mins ramp up and 45 mins ramp down). I did ask a question about the correct setting on a separate thread (http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/arcadia-80-otl-led-power-setting.39237/). I've reduced the power down from level 10 to 8 today (8/24 = 33%).

I'm changing about 40 litres every three to four days. For the first time, gravel vacuumed the tank and performed a trim of dying leaves.

I've added four Otinculus and one Amano shrimp. Local MA has more shrimp arriving this coming weekend. Not adding any additional feed at the moment. Target rich algae environment at the moment.

Having added livestock, this limits where I can go in terms of how much more liquid carbon I can add. Seriously think I need to invest in CO2 and ditch the liquid carbon. I'm guessing I need to reduce light, but glosso needs light.

Latest shot (sorry - work in progress). Please ignore internal filter and heater which will go once I move second external filter and inline heater (with fish) from previous tank.

FTS030116.jpe

I'm aiming for the following
GoldenSpiralPlus.jpe

To achieve this, I'm hoping the Rotala and Lindernia will grow so I can trim into a curve (somewhere below the red line). Trying to add more smaller stones to make the 'waterfall' more of a focal point.

How soon after planting should I trim the Rotala and Lindernia? How short should I cut? I think the answer is to cut low on the first cut to make them bush out from the base.

Attachments

• FTS030116.jpe
    FTS030116.jpe
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • GoldenSpiralPlus.jpe
    GoldenSpiralPlus.jpe
    90.6 KB · Views: 84
  • FTS030116.jpe
    FTS030116.jpe
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • GoldenSpiralPlus.jpe
    GoldenSpiralPlus.jpe
    90.6 KB · Views: 88
  • FTS030116.jpe
    FTS030116.jpe
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • GoldenSpiralPlus.jpe
    GoldenSpiralPlus.jpe
    90.6 KB · Views: 88
Wow, so thats the secret huh? Plan a scape, then flip it completely upside down :D Am referring to one of the tank shots that have gone belly up. Your flow pattern is interesting, right side is back to front and left side is front to back? Why so?

Really wished I could draw as well as you. I usually do my hardscape in the moment, get frustrated and just throw stuff in :rolleyes:

Your flow pattern is interesting, right side is back to front and left side is front to back? Why so?

I realise this is not recommended!!!:)

The internal filter and heater are temporary. My old tank has an external Eheim filter and Hydor inline heater. Once the new tank is more settled I'll move them across (with fish) and get rid of the internal equipment.

At the moment the flow is hitting the opposite wall and flowing along the bottom where the plants are most dense.

It just happens to be going in opposite directions on the left and right!!!

I'm really struggling with a green algae (Rhizoclonium) outbreak, which I think is due to insufficient CO2 (using liquid carbon), excessive light, melting plants and insufficient water changes. I've detailed this in a separate thread (http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/new-tank-green-algae-outbreak.39412/).

I don't think it is due to the flow!

Really wished I could draw as well as you. I usually do my hardscape in the moment, get frustrated and just throw stuff in :rolleyes:

Due to my lack of experience, I spent a loooooong time reading and planning this scape.

It's wonderful to see what experienced and confident aquascapers achieve.

Hopefully this scape and particularly beating this algae outbreak will give me more confidence for next time!

Quick update. Apologies again for phone photos with lots of equipment in the tank. Still very much work in progress.

AfterTheRiffleJan16.jpe

Have turned the corner with the green hair algae outbreak (Rhizoclonium). Elodea and Pistia Stratiotes are helping to stabilise the tank.

Have bought a CO2 regulator from CO2 Art. Hoping to sort CO2 cylinder this weekend. Once CO2 set up, will remove internal filter and heater. Light is too low for plants to grow well. Will increase light intensity / photoperiod once CO2 in.

I've added:
- Hygrophila Pinnatifida (either side of the stream)
- Bacopa Compact (back right to replace too tall Bacopa Carolina)

The Lindernia Rotundifolia is melting. Suspect not liking Easycarbo or ADA Aquasoil is too rich (Tropica says grows on sandy banks).

I'm going to replace with Rotala Rotundifolia. I'm hoping this will: break up the green; be relatively easy; respond well to trimming; small leaves of similar scale.

Also, I've bought some:
- ADA Congo Sand small (to add detail)
- Fissidens Fontanus (it was on sale)

Attachments

• AfterTheRiffleJan16.jpe
    AfterTheRiffleJan16.jpe
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • AfterTheRiffleJan16.jpe
    AfterTheRiffleJan16.jpe
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
Nelson, thank you very much.

Your scape with TGM blue stone has inspired the ADA Congo Sand purchase! It looked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick update now it's looking more grown in. Hope you like it.

Still struggling with some hair algae and a bit of BBA.

Can't quite get the hand of trimming the Rotala. I'm going to start just trimming the longer shoots, more often. Previously, I've been waiting until it's too long, then trimming back too hard, which probably hasn't helped with the algae.

However, I'm learning lots for my next attempt.

FTSJune2016.jpe

I should mention, this is taken at night when I have an air stone running while the lights are normally off.

Attachments

• FTSJune2016.jpe
    FTSJune2016.jpe
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • FTSJune2016.jpe
    FTSJune2016.jpe
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • FTSJune2016.jpe
    FTSJune2016.jpe
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
  • FTSJune2016.jpe
    FTSJune2016.jpe
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
Quick update.

Full tank shot:
July2016FTS.jpg

Right hand side:
July2016RHS.jpg

Left hand side:
July2016LHS.jpe

Angled full tank shot:
July2016FTSAngle.jpg

Attachments

• July2016FTS.jpg
    July2016FTS.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
  • July2016FTS.jpg
    July2016FTS.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • July2016FTS.jpg
    July2016FTS.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • July2016FTS.jpg
    July2016FTS.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
  • July2016RHS.jpg
    July2016RHS.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
  • July2016RHS.jpg
    July2016RHS.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 88
  • July2016RHS.jpg
    July2016RHS.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 81
  • July2016RHS.jpg
    July2016RHS.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
  • July2016LHS.jpe
    July2016LHS.jpe
    3 MB · Views: 85
  • July2016FTSAngle.jpg
    July2016FTSAngle.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 81
  • July2016LHS.jpe
    July2016LHS.jpe
    3 MB · Views: 82
  • July2016LHS.jpe
    July2016LHS.jpe
    3 MB · Views: 76
  • July2016LHS.jpe
    July2016LHS.jpe
    3 MB · Views: 78
  • July2016FTSAngle.jpg
    July2016FTSAngle.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 81
  • July2016FTSAngle.jpg
    July2016FTSAngle.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 76
  • July2016FTSAngle.jpg
    July2016FTSAngle.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 84
Not an expert, so this may go horribly wrong for you. Perhaps try on a small part of the plant near the back.

I noticed a big difference with Pinatifida when I pinched out (I cut it) the main growing stem. It has then thrown out lots of side shoots, which I've then trimmed again, to try and encourage it to create more side shoots.

My light, CO2 and fertilisation are at medium levels.

Very natural and nice looking scape!

I really like the path under the woods and the right side of the tank. :thumbup:

The left side looks a bit overgrown with these big leaves, maybe a little trim?:cigar:

Hi CooKieS,

I agree. The Cryptocoryne Crispatula have grown far too long. In hindsight, a smaller leafed plant, like Rotala would have been much better.

The left side looks a bit overgrown with these big leaves, maybe a little trim?:cigar:

This is probably very unwise, but since previous posts, I have decided to have a bit of a re-scape. This is very much a work in progress as I'm doing a bit each weekend.

So far I have:

- Got rid of the Rotala Green and Micranthemum Monte Carlo
- I've planted stems of Rotala Rotundifolia and Bacopa Compact across the back
- I've moved the Micranthemum Umbrosum to the centre, to be in the middle ground
- I've bought some Staurogyne Repens (right hand front) and Crypt Petchii Brown (in front of Micranthemum U)
- The Hygrophila Pinafitada is wrapping itself all around the large rock and I'll trim it to keep it there
- Also, I found some Crypt Parva, which has grown very leggy, as it was hidden beneath Bacopa

Next jobs:

- I am going to take the moss off the main driftwood and re-tie the best bits. It's grown too thick.
- I bought some Anubias Nana Mini which are currently floating around the tank, as I prepared it today then ran out of time

I'd like to remove the Crypt Balansae, but I suspect it would cause too much mess. I have pulled the longest leaves off.

FTS_WIP_Aug16.jpe

Focus_WIP_Aug16.jpe

Cupboard.jpe

Cupboard_Closeup.jpe

Attachments

• FTS_WIP_Aug16.jpe
    FTS_WIP_Aug16.jpe
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • FTS_WIP_Aug16.jpe
    FTS_WIP_Aug16.jpe
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • FTS_WIP_Aug16.jpe