• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

After the riffle

Looking great.You have really bought your vision to life:clap:.
All the planning has really payed off;).

I really enjoyed the planning stage as I found it a great way to relax.

However, I think we've all found that aquascapes really are living, breathing things. They have a habit of doing the things you don't expect or hope they won't do!

AfterTheRiffleOct16.jpe

I took the Crypt Balansae out of the back left and I've replaced it with Pogostemon Erectus.

I've pulled the moss off the driftwood as it had grown too thick and was dying underneath and breaking away. I've bought some Tropica 1-2 Grow Xmas Moss.

With all the messing about I've been doing, predictably, I've had an algae outbreak - BBA, BGA and hair algae. I'm trying to put a bit more effort into the maintenance until the plants mature and settle. This seems to be working.

Attachments

• AfterTheRiffleOct16.jpe
    AfterTheRiffleOct16.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
    AfterTheRiffleOct16.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
    AfterTheRiffleOct16.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
    AfterTheRiffleOct16.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
With all the messing about I've been doing, predictably, I've had an algae outbreak
what's your water change/maintenance etc after rescapes?

Looking at your C balansae :wideyed: :eek: ... I think I better go rip mine out now ;)

Probably not as often or as big a volume as others would recommend.

I guess I've been changing 60 to 70% each week.

However, I've been trying to keep on top of the hair algae in between.

Each water change, I'm trying to attack it in different ways.

Today, I did a water change but also:

- Paid particular attention to algae on the glass, behind the plants.

- Lifted out the big piece of driftwood and cleaned areas I wouldn't normally get to.

- I bought some toothbrush size, wire brushes and had a go at the algae on the rocks.

- Cleaned the filters and spray bars.

I don't think I'll eliminate it all, but I'm trying to remove it quicker than it's growing.

I'm hoping that over time, the plants will be able to compete better and the algae will reduce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds fine :)

When doing some major plant uprooting/rescape, I have the filer off & syphon running so as to capture/remove much of the released clouds of gunk (some visible, some not so visible)
Then top up tank & turn filter back on etc, before beginning on the next step ... if you've removed fish etc, obviously you can follow a modified protocol.
(this is actually my preference - then I can take as long as I like, change as much water etc - note fish are in a suitable holding bin while all this goes on)

Depending on how much crud has (possibly) entered the filter, I clean this immediately & again a week on
Also try to do daily water changes for a few days or alternate day etc

(I seldom have algae outbreaks after rescapes ... though sometimes I'm doing a rescape because I've been "absent" & it's pretty chaotic with some decent amounts of algae :oops: )

Alto, your approach sounds much better than mine.

Rather than doing one big re-scape, I have tried to do a bit at a time, at the same time as a major water change.

Your steps to protect the filter sound very wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started doing it this way as I hate any haze in the water :eek:
I'd plan to do just one area of the tank but realize I hated the whole scape :rolleyes:
Once, years back, I lost almost all the fish 18 - 24 hours after a rescape, even though nothing ever seemed out of wack during/after removing run amok valisneria :bawling:

Now anytime I mess about in the tank, I start with frequent water changes - to make sure that tank & tap water are in sync - add Prime as I'm working - stop & perform water change anytime I think I've done more than a little messing (this means refilling the tank, letting filter run for 20 - 30 min ... or 60 ;) & then getting back to it)

Yep, I'm S....L....O....W....
it's a project best down Home Alone & with available beverages of choice :D

Back