• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Been trailing nitra-guard bio cubes

Mark hastings

Hi all,

been trailing nitra guard bio cubes,had fantastic results...in my cichlids tank it took the nitrate from 100 ppm down to zero in 3 weeks,& it also eats away the phosphates too!

[MOD EDIT] - I've chosen to remove the large image, it can still be accessed from the attached files. This does feel a little bit spammy but I'm giving Mark the benefit of the doubt, feel free to discuss the topic maturely :)

BigTom

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 232
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 169
  • image.png
    image.png
    490.1 KB · Views: 230
  • image.png
    image.png
    600.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited by a moderator:
Why on earth would we want these in a planted tank ? To kill all the plants and turn the tank in an algae infested soup ?

Why on earth would we want to reduce nitrate to 0ppm ???

Nitrate causing algae blooms ???? don't know where your info comes from but nitrate does not directly cause algae blooms. We tend to run our tanks at 8ppm nitrate and don't have algae issues.

Please read the section on EI dosing, in future, before posting something that no planted tank keeper would ever buy or even ever consider buying.

If you were selling a nitrate adding product, we would be interested but as for this product this would be highly detrimental in a planted tank.

Hi all,
The advertising blurb made me laugh, but I'm not sure it actually tells you a lot about how they work.

I found this thread <"Re: Nitra-Guard Bio-cubes...">, which does discuss mode of action (it would be fair to say it gets a bit heated as well). I can see in a marine aquarium they could be used in conjunction with a protein skimmer, but I'm not sure about in freshwater. The aeration requirement is interesting, it suggests that something else is going on other than anaerobic de-nitrification (but possibly just aerobic nitrification).

If I was keeping Mbuna, in a tank where housing plants was problematic, I might look at anaerobic denitrification (but definitely not in the filter), but even than a refugium area (where you could keep plants) is likely to be a lot more successful.

You can get ion selective polymer media that will remove both PO4--- and NO3-, but they are an expensive option.

cheers Darrel

Hey Mark, how many cubes have you sold?

& I thought this was a friendly forum .hmmmmm

Don't be to hard on yourself or others don't take it all to personal.. :)

misinterpretations are as common in forums as it is with messaging eachother via Whatsapp and or Short Message Service or e-mail discussions.. It's plain text, it contains no intonations and it mainly is read with the intonation of your own emotinal state of mind at the time of reading. This can put someone quite fast on the wrong foot and before you know you are bashing or maybe even hugging your PC monitor, ipad or mobile phone instead of a real person.. This way many people start to hate and even love eachother for all the wrong reasons all because of multi-interpretable toneless plain text.

Don't do this to yourself.. Believe me, i know it happend to me too long time ago after sitting 16 years behind a PC. And i see it happen to many others around me as well in this rather virtual world. I nowadays even see people around me who have forgotten how a real one on one conversation works, they already talk in short message terms and abbreviations. I do not know if this is real development, but it's reality..

Social media is a great tool, but it also is a virtual reality and has some dangerous trapdoors.. Make yourself aware of these traps and try to go around them.

It's the intonation which makes the song, the lyrics in it actualy have a minor role. ;)

& I thought this was a friendly forum .hmmmmm

Well, the attached (advertising) image is very big and gives a feeling of in-your-face. :confused:
When I opened the thread and saw the image, I suddenly wondered what the reaction would be. :lol:

simple enough to mark a suspected post as spam & admin will look at it ...

If nitrate comes out of the tap at over 50ppm - & this is not that unusual - there are many "loopholes" for this in the water safety guides :( - I'd be looking for nitrate reduction products (that didn't cost $$$)

There are scientific studies linking high nitrates in natural waters with increased algaes ... & pristine waters with almost undetectable nitrates that are relatively algae free
ie it's just not as simple as nitrate dictates algae - it's a "contributing factor" that may/may not be a "determining factor"

My sunlight-tech cube has no measurable nitrate/phosphate etc - none in the very soft tap water, no fertlizers added - and no visible algae
:)

Hi all, sorry been working.... No I am not selling these it was just easier to upload the instructions rather than type it all out (it was off eBay).thanks for your feedback..I was in the understanding that lower phosphates & lower nitrates would control algae in a planted that's all. Please don't shoot me down,as I'm still learning...if this is incorrect please can u give me a link of a thread to explain it all . Cheers mark

Hi all,
I was in the understanding that lower phosphates & lower nitrates would control algae in a planted that's all.
I think there is some validity in that as an argument, the problem comes, particularly with the phosphate (PO4---), because the levels of depletion you need to get to to control algal growth are vanishingly low.

I have relatively algae free low tech. aquariums, with <"limiting amounts of nutrients">, but many members successfully use <"Estimative Index"> (EI) dosing to stunning effect.

In natural situations <"elevated nitrogen and phosphorus levels"> usually occur together as markers of eutrophication.

The exact mechanisms for the switch between plant (macrophyte) and algal dominated aquatic plant communities still isn't fully known, with both states occurring along a phosphorus gradient (PO4--- is thought to be the prime metric in eutrophication, mainly because it is extremely persistent in the aquatic environment).

s216_1_042i.jpg

cheers Darrel

Haha Mark, apologies. I thought you were an advertiser. It would be pretty hard to prove either way though. Perhaps after a couple of thousand meaningful posts you will probably gain more trust.

As a wise man apparently said, some in the forum just post the same thing 1000s of times. Hope you are not one of them.

Welcome to UKAPS.

some in the forum just post the same thing 1000s of times
:eek: :oops: :sorry:

sometimes I feel like I'm on rewind, repeat, rewind, repeat, rewind, repeat , rewind, repeat, rewind, repeat

:stop:

:shh:

:dead:

hah! I've not used those in a while :D

:eek: :oops: :sorry:

sometimes I feel like I'm on rewind, repeat, rewind, repeat, rewind, repeat , rewind, repeat, rewind, repeat

:stop:

:shh:

:dead:

hah! I've not used those in a while :D
Haha. It's all good. The same questions usually will deserve the same answer... :p

Back