• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Everything i need for my a planted tank?

Seditro

Hello guys i am just wondering if you can help me here on a planted aquarium this will be my 2nd attempt (1st 1 failed so gave up very quick)

But i am here to give it another go and hopefully before rushing into things do it all right instead of trying to fix my mistakes

Right my set up

Juwel Lido 120 fitted with 2 x T5 Hi-lite bulbs + 2 x reflectors i have been informed this would put my tank into the high light zone so assuming i could grow most plants in there?

My filter is not the standard juwel filter i ripped that out to make more room and have a external filter fitted which is a All pond solutions 2000 EF (no uv ) i could add the spray bar part on to it if needed as i see a lot of planted tanks using that
would i need a wave maker or a power head of some sort in this tank to get good flow or would the filter be enough

now everything else is a blank canvas

Substrates for my tank? any recommend?
co2 options? ( i thought about a co2 art regulator + 2kg FE) never done that so unsure where to start?

Fertilizers i saw a link on here about dry ferts from plant food uk would the micros and macros dosing be good for me?

is there anything else i need? apart from plants of course

This tank is not set up yet im just getting my shopping list together

Like i said this is my 2nd attempt at a planted tank the 1st one went wrong and i just gave up ripped everything out and added fake plants (regret not trying harder)

So from my understanding correct me if im wrong but what i have read is what you do with planted tanks is this

co2 goes on 1.5-2 hours before lights ( get the drop checker into the green ) which takes approx that amount of time once i have zoned in on the correct bubbles per min? and turn co2 off about 1hr before lights off so at 1st i need to take it slow lights on for about 4hrs a day as they are high while dosing my aquarium with macros and micros everyday in turns like monday macros tuesday micros etc and sunday 50% water change repeat this process for 2 months and then trim some plants down (assuming the have not died ) because this will make them grow back thicker and better?

thats just how i understand it im sure its more complex than that lol sorry for being so newbie at this please do correct me if i am wrong

Thanks in advance and please be patient with me im still learning all this

If it's only your second attempt and you say you gave you pretty quickly last time, i would advise to go low tech (you'll probably not need both bulbs on). Don't worry about co2 for now, go low tech, I know it doesn't sound so glamorous, but it gives you a lot more margin for error and is just as satisfying. Less water changes, less ferts, more time to enjoy it.

You definitely have the general idea. CO2 is a must for high light. You will have to forgive me because I am not in the UK so not familiar with the regional brands, so I cannot be too much help there. However, I can guide you in a general direction. First do you have any tanks you like or would like your scape to look like?

What size is your tank? The necessary equipment is all relative to the size of the tank.

As a beginner, going high light may not be the best way to learn. Its like driving a race car when learning to drive. The light levels are the throttle to the system and determine how much demand you have for CO2 and nutrients as well as growth rates (which can also be a little species specific). You may want to consider medium to low light and choose your plants according to that. CO2 is great and if you can spring for a good pressurized system, by all means do it!

Have you given thought to the substrate you will use in your tank? A nutrient rich substrate would be recommended for a tank with a lot of stems, carpeting plants, and crypts. You can also go another direction and use an inert substrate like sand and use only epiphytes. These are plants that grow on the hardscape like anubias, java ferns, bolbitis, and mosses.

Initially your fertilizing routine may depend upon your substrate choice. Your plants will be using lots of stored energy while they adjust to a new setup, so do not need lots of fertilizers in the initial weeks.

To start, pick a scape you like from a photo, tell us your goals for this tank....and take your time planning it out.

Hi thanks for the replys

How would i go about making the tank low light ? As i cant just take a bulb out as the unit would not work

The tank size is 24 long 22 inch tall 16 inch front to back or 61cm x 58 x 41cm

As for substrates i have no idea on any good ones was thinking maybe tropica substrate?

The tank i would like to make is kind of like this

http://tropica.com/en/inspiration/layout/Layout68/5272

But maybe with a carpet of sagittaria subulata to give it a sort of jungle look?

This should give you guys a general idea of what im lookin to create atleast

Thanks again

How would i go about making the tank low light ? As i cant just take a bulb out as the unit would not work
Can you take the reflectors off ?.
You could also wrap strips of foil around the tubes.
Or some floating plants,to block some light.

They do clip off or i could turn them
Upside down to reflect light upwards

Unsure if i need to take them off both lights or just 1 and then would 1 x t5 24w be enough light? Its all very confusin to me

Go low tech mate honestly. At least first. I'm 3 years in to the hobby, have 3 low tech and 1 high tech tank (running turbo!) and out of the 4, the high tech causes me no end of grief. Every week there's something new to deal with :/

Of course, low tech tanks can present their own problems. There's no doubt about that. However, the onset of the problems is slow and gives you way more time to address them before they get out of control. On a high tech, literally 6 hours of something out of balance can ruin a whole week, if not months of work.

EDIT: Two T5's on a 22" high tank aren't going to be killer in my opinion. as was suggested previously, take the reflectors off, put some foil round them, or... consider other options such as floating plants or ones that will reach and cover the water surface and cover it a little from the light. My vallis do a great job of this in my Trigon 190 with 2 x T5's.

Either way, don't put the reflector on upside down if you've got a plastic lid. They get pretty hot. also, the clips that hold the reflectors to the bulbs (if that's the type you have) are notorious for snapping when you try to un-clip them. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back