• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's ADA 45P - new design

Holy crud... Those refill bottles are that cheap?! They cost an arm and a leg here in Canada ==

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L04 using Tapatalk

I decided today to pour in the Aquasoil to see how it looks for depth. As I have it here, it's currently 3cm at the front and 8cm at the back. I'm tempted to brush the 'powder' to the front to increase the depth to 5cm, and then get some more 'regular' type (about £10 here) to top up the rear.

IMG_8176small.jpg

I also had a quick play with the single piece of wood that I own (and actually brought over from the UK!!) I'm not convinced with using it, although I'd like to, but here are some ideas. I'm leaning towards the position in the last images - although it maybe won't be quite so dominant once planted and grown in.

IMG_8181small.jpg

IMG_8179small.jpg

IMG_8178small.jpg

My current preference:

IMG_8182small.jpg

IMG_8185small.jpg

IMG_8186small.jpg

Interesting piece of wood.. Kinda looks good in all positions so far.. :) I guess knowing with what and how it will be planted, will determine it's best position.

Thanks for your comments. Alexander, you're right about the height. Before, my 'scapes have always been hardscape-heavy and with a sand foreground. With this one, I wanted to use plants more to create the shape. Hopefully, the wood will not be so prominent when it's all filled in, but I've just taken a couple more shots in another position. If I use this layout, I will probably use some small moss-covered stones to support the wood, and a few more along the border between the fore and mid-ground. I'd like to try to blend it as much as possible, and have a smooth transition from front to back.

Here's the latest. As I say, I've used this style before, but the planting will be quite different.

IMG_8188.jpg

This probably won't make sense to anyone (or indeed to myself), but I've started playing with sticks...

IMG_8189.jpg

I'd like the foreground to be predominantly HC, blending in with Hairgrass, Moss and possibly some Riccia as it moves backwards. In the middle I'll probably go for a mix of Crypts, stems and moss. At the back I'd like to use 2-3 Wabi-Kusa, along with some taller, thin plants. Undecided as yet.

The foreground to mid-ground line will probably follow the shadow under the wood, where Moss and Crypts would be fine.

Tom

Looking very nice. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the inspiration photos :)

I visited three aquatics shops today and got myself both rocks and plants. I don't think I'll have enough time tonight to really take my time and do things properly, so for now I've just had a play with some rocks. There are four main rocks (faux pas, yes, but I don't really care). I'm a little concerned that one is seemingly a slightly different shade to the others, but it might not really matter once everything is in. I'm hoping it will be shaded anyway. I'll have another look at it tomorrow. I do have one more rock to try.

There are then some other smaller lava rocks that I broke from a large piece. I will use these to attach moss and Bolbitis. I was a bit cheeky with the Bolbitis, and asked to buy some from a guppy-breeder tank. They would only give me half, but it might be enough.

IMG_82012.jpg

Again, I'll check the positioning tomorrow night before planting. I hope the plants will be ok overnight - it gets a little hot in here during the day, but I've left them in my porch area with the window slightly open. It'll get a little light, but not full sun or they'll bake.

I decided to try the ADA plants grown in jelly, along with one waaay overgrown wabi kusa. The man in the shop was just saying to wash the jelly off under the tap, then separate the plants. The willow moss, Bolbitis, anubias nana 'mini', Crypts (lucens, wendtii and balansae) and HC (lovely lovely HC) are from other suppliers.

Jaa, mata ashita ne.

Tom

I really like your rocks shape and placement but the Wood isn't looking at his best this way.

Won't you play more with the hardscape? ;)

I really like wood position #3 so that one gets my vote on the next scape :D

It's great wood ;)
- just need to try them all :wideyed:

Back