• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

List of good LED fixtures

Or you tim ;)

I do like the ADA Aquasky, little bit out of my price range, I have seen a portuguese store that sells some similar, just not as good looking, brand name MasWas you would have seen them on Pedro Rosa Dutch journal, and I am looking forward to seeing the new Twinstar LED luminnaires also, those look a good alternative for the Aquasky, just have to wait for pricing ;)

Now you need to buy one of each and review each one for us ;)

Wow, thats a true honor! I would love to do that for UKAPS. I sended you a pm for further info about you funding it... :lol:
The MasWas looks like a good replacement for the aquasky. Chihiros has another fixture that is almost an excact copy of the aquasky.

Thanks for the heads up about Twinstar. I didn't know they are about to launch an LED fixture soon. The pictures look very promising;
13235124_992580367489852_3520096452455940851_o.jpg

13403918_1009559109125311_3196317967434992241_o.jpg

13415613_1009559035791985_6221148306698859786_o.jpg

13433339_1009560325791856_2121387719325489557_o-1024x735.jpg

13443322_1009559129125309_1090845704250622968_o-1024x812.jpg

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Dear @Timon Vogelaar,

There is nothing better than a video to judge the real plant colours!

Well, thanks for the commercial :)
Nice too see someone from Twinstar Iberica on the forum.
I like the looks of this fixture. I am actually looking for something i could hang too a ceiling.

If it's "The worlds best full spectrum aquarium LED" is yet to prove...
And i am curious what this fixture will cost?

Hi,

The 60cm twinstar led version is 139€, not bad. ;)

Hope it has a dimmer, no review yet!

I love my chihiros led, cheap priced, dimmable (dimmer include), inox stand available for adjusting height and lenght, lovely Ada like design...

The leds are a good saving on the end of the month but what about the reliability?
Does the led chips stands for 5 years? 10 years?
Neither the aquasky, chihiros and similar were out there time enough to insure that they last year's without burning this or that.
This is my major concern about led fixtures...

Sent from my Nokia 3310!

Well, thanks for the commercial :)
Nice too see someone from Twinstar Iberica on the forum.
I like the looks of this fixture. I am actually looking for something i could hang too a ceiling.

If it's "The worlds best full spectrum aquarium LED" is yet to prove...
And i am curious what this fixture will cost?

60cm will cost around 115€ without VAT.

This means that you may have a high quality RGB solution with full spectrum, between 400nm to 700nm, for less than 150€!!!

Furthermore:
  • All solutions are optimized for the different tank sizes;
  • Now you can see the real plant and fish color due to the wide color gamut;
  • You don't have to worry about dimming because their specifications allow you to grow plants that don't like much bright;
  • Last generation Samsung and Nichia LEDs;
  • Special Materials to optimize heat dissipation;
  • Made in Korea.

Look at these colours. As you can see in the last video they are so real :)
  • Twinstar LIGHT 600ES prueba.jpg

Thanks mate!
I do like more specific details about;
- Lumens
- Par value
- How many LED's in the fixture
- Instead of what brand of led i wonder what kind they are for example; 5630 LED's
- Watt per LED
- What is the Kelvin value

ou don't have to worry about dimming because their specifications allow you to grow plants that don't like much bright
I don't like it when manufacturers decide what the customer should or should not worry about! ADA's does this as well with there new RGB Solar, they say; " Why do you want to dim it, the color rendition is perfect. "

In my opinion a piece of hardware should do what ever the customer wants it to do. Two most important things are;
- When battling against algae it is in some cases important you can dim the light for the plants to take over and get things balanced again.
- A LED fixture should always be dimmable to give the customer full control so there can be sunset's sunrises and maybe moonlight.

I find it strange that company's manufacturing fixtures don't understand this. Where i live Customer = King. In the smartphone market it isn't any different though :facepalm:
(for a cheap copy of good value; Chihiros seem to understand this!)

I wish I could by this LED in Ukraine for such price. Most of the products either unavailable or overpriced to loose any sense.

Thanks mate!
I do like more specific details about;
- Lumens - You can find it on the twinstar's facebook. However it only tells you the "quantity" of light. More lumens are not necessary better, in fact, more than needed will promote algae.
- Par value - It depends on many factors, including height. On the other hand it measures between 400 to 700nm, and many wavelenthgs does not matter for plant growth.
- How many LED's in the fixture - LED specifications are already available at Twinstar's facebook.
- Instead of what brand of led i wonder what kind they are for example; 5630 LED's - 5630 only tells you the size of the led and nothing more.
- Watt per LED - They have different LEDs, so different w/led.
- What is the Kelvin value - Light has 7050K

I don't like it when manufacturers decide what the customer should or should not worry about! ADA's does this as well with there new RGB Solar, they say; " Why do you want to dim it, the color rendition is perfect. "

In my opinion a piece of hardware should do what ever the customer wants it to do. Two most important things are;
- When battling against algae it is in some cases important you can dim the light for the plants to take over and get things balanced again. - Yes you are right, however please remember we cannot measure many wavelenghts with our eyes. Anyway you can just turn them off like T5.
- A LED fixture should always be dimmable to give the customer full control so there can be sunset's sunrises and maybe moonlight. - Functions can be cool, but just for the users. However they are not important for plants and fish. Instead of it, in my humble opinion, I think the most important is the quality vs design vs price. What would you prefer? Quality and performance or functions? Pro Aquascapers only need perfect light for their projects, functions are optional.

I find it strange that company's manufacturing fixtures don't understand this. Where i live Customer = King. In the smartphone market it isn't any different though :facepalm: Everything has a reason, but please remember, in terms of light performance don't focus in what your eyes can see ;)
(for a cheap copy of good value; Chihiros seem to understand this!)

Thanks for answering;

- If my eyes can't see it i'd like a company who backs it up with science.
- I asked what kind of LED's and size is a part of saying what kind of LED's they are. That's why i said "for example".
- I know PAR is different at heights but it easy to test when you have an different kinds of aquariums and a PAR meter.
- You say its cool for the user and not for plants and fish. Well i really don't understand why you say such a thing. Look at the nature! And now look how your fixture works. It's not only a good feature for the user but it's best for plants and especially for fish because they always react heavily when the lights suddenly get flashed on. It's not about what i prefer. The problem lays in making concessions where there doesn't need to be any. Dimming of lights has not been so popular since LED's where introduced.
- I know Twinstar wants their light to be the best but remember that eventually the user needs to see, test and decide for themselves. You want to stand out for Twinstar but in my opinion you try to hard :)

I'll see how specific Twinstar is going to be about this fixture.

I find that your image about "pro aquascapers" is somewhat strange. Because the pro's really know what they are doing and they use all kinds of fixtures. Some use cheap floodlights and some use expensive LED's from Kessil but they are both able to create beautiful aquascapes.
In my personal opinion;
" Aquascapers are just like true artists where the inside of the aquarium is their painting, all accessories (including light) is their paint and nature is their example! "

Last edited:
The leds are a good saving on the end of the month but what about the reliability?
Does the led chips stands for 5 years? 10 years?
Neither the aquasky, chihiros and similar were out there time enough to insure that they last year's without burning this or that.
This is my major concern about led fixtures...

Sent from my Nokia 3310!

TMC Aquaray gives 5 years warranty if the product is registed with them.

Michel.

Typical T5 lights have about 10 000 hours of work, IIRC, and you need to change them (ideally) each year. If those LEDs are about to 30-50 thousands hours, you might expect their lifespan to be something like 3-5 years, which is not too bad, but not immortal either.

Back