• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andy D's Splendid Tank

Another "change" fan here :D

Be interesting to see how the Lilaeopsis does - I had some in a non-CO2 tank but ended up leaving the lights off for weeks as it's been very hot, nothing left looked good after that so I impatiently ripped everything out & rescaped last week. Added in some Tropica Littorella uniflora - as that's what was in at the shop ... not sure I like it ... that fleshy texture is just weird ...

You anubias looks very good and clean which is a tough thing to achieve. I've noticed that it does well in tanks with black background because light is never bouncing at it that much.

I've always kept the light level fairly low which the Anubias like.

Another "change" fan here :D

Be interesting to see how the Lilaeopsis does.

Lilaeopsis has been bomb proof for me. I had it in a tank once that was neglected for weeks and every other plant suffered but the Lilaeopsis.

It will just take forever to grow so is a nice match for the Anubias in that sense.

I went to a LFS on Sunday and got some more Lilaeopsis. The plan was to get some stems but they were looking pretty sorry for themselves so I got some Java Fern and Bolbitis instead.

I still need to get more gravel for the left hand side so I couldn't fully plant it as I plan too.

I also have some Cryptocoryne Balansae that I can add but this had some cyano (it had this in the shop) that I am working on getting rid of before I add it.

I also saw some lovely female Bettas. If I add some floating plants and up the temp the tank may eventually live up to its original plan!

Here it is now:
b580f75071bc18b7f3c1290db19aeea2.jpg

Beatifully simple :thumbup:

Some bettas would look nice in their, but what about something like apistos or kribensis, lurking amongst the anubias? Just a thought ;)

Crypt balansae is a lovely plant and very easy to grow.

I went to the LFS on Sunday. The Kribs really did catch my eye. Howwever, I am concerned that I would need a pair and to get a pair I would probably need to but several individuals until a pair formed. What would I then do with the rest?

Instead I bought some Cherry Barbs. I have admired these fish for a long time so decided to buy some.

So, still no Bettas but here is a video of the Cherry Barbs. It was taken just a few hour after purchase:

So it's been nearly 8 months since the last update so the changes are gonna be huge right!

OK, I'm not fooling anyone. Not a great deal has changed. It is mostly Anubias after all.

The tank went through a bit of a rough patch with diatoms. Had to remove the Lilaeopsis as it suffered. Not quite sure why this happened but it's seems to be back in balance now. There is some BBA on the Java fern but nothing I am concerned about. The glass needs a decent clean but apart from that I am happy.

Here is a (squished iPhone) shot:
c2409f1ba9210e55038aea108367b14b.jpg

If you decide to try Lilaeopsis again, go for the 1-2-Grow sort, it seems to transition easier.

Hi Rob
haven't noticed you around much lately, hope all is well :)
Cheers

If you decide to try Lilaeopsis again, go for the 1-2-Grow sort, it seems to transition easier.

I think I will. I used the 1-2-grow stuff in my Betta tank and it did much better than the regular potted batch I used in here. (I appreciate that a different tank will have different factors but I will still give it a go). :)

Its a plant am liking more and more, I have some sort of plodding along on a piece of branched wood which is suffering a bit of a algae issue, may give a trim and try and shade it more.

Hi Rob
haven't noticed you around much lately, hope all is well :)
Cheers
Hello Alto, I had a total knee replacement a month ago, which has rendered me rather incapable of doing anything which required lifting or getting in awkward positions. I am pretty well healed now, so will probably be a little more participatory than I have been.
After spending many hours and lots of bad words attempting to tie small plants on with thread and trembling fingers, I have finally purchased some cyanoacrylic adhesive which is still difficult with shaky hands so I enlisted my wife's help and now a formerly bald root has anubias and fissidens growing on it. (hope the anubias roots will eventually hide the white glue. Wish they'd make it in a dark color. Wonder if you could add color when you squeeze it out?
27273898205_41ce03afee_c.jpg

Hi!

I'm gonna be repeating myself on three separate journals but this tank has now been taken down.

In fact all 4 tanks in this room have been taken down and sold. No further pics I'm afraid.

They have been / will be replaced with 2 Dennerle Scapers tanks and two Do! Aqua plant glass 'cubes' for Wabi-Kusa.

New journals will be up in the near future.

Andy

Back